• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

injector upgrade problems

littlebluexj

NAXJA Forum User
this weekend i have remover the mech. fan and run 2 stock electric fans now at the same time i have installed my ould trucks(95,f-150's(i-6) injectors)b/c my old stock ones had 200thousand miles on them and leaked.now the new ones don't leak but it idles real loopy and kills its self out ialso installed a custom intake K&N.i put the vacume line to the end of the fuel rails regulator i think is what it is and it will start ideal and die quickly.i take that vacume off and it will run but very loopy and chocks.when i get it on the road it will run great till around twoG's(rpm)then it starts to backfire and stutter till i just jump on the throtal and i cleans out and takes off fine but the secont i get off the gas the rpm's drop like a stone and it backfires all the way down.

any input helps thatks Will

First, a few spaces, a few capitals, and some better spelling would make this a lot easier to decipher.

What flow rate are the new injectors you installed? Most likely they are a higher flow injector and may not be real compatible. It takes a while for the computer to adjust to the new flow rates. Disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes, then reconnect. That will force the computer to re-learn the operating parameters.

Removing vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator increases the pressure in the fuel line if it's a Renix system, so that should make it more rich. If it runs fine at wide open throttle and at start when the ECU has it run rich, and dies when the ECU is controlling emissions, it sounds like it's running lean to me. Does it backfire in the exhaust or in the intake?

Fred

I think you actually downgraded to smaller injectors. The 4.9 big six injectors are rated around 14-15 lbs and they run higher fuel rail pressures to make it work with that motor. It sounds like your motor is running super lean. Try some ford orange top injectors or pink tops if you have HO. They might work better. :)

I don't have an HO and I called for and they said they were 15LB injectors and is a backfire from the exhast(sp) now when it is idleing it will idle at 700 rpms and then drop to 200 and almost chock it out then back up to 700.this is with the vacume off.With the vacume one it will idle really hard at 250is the intire time befor chocking out.This is all after i reset the computor with the battery thing.i can drive around town but when it gets to 2000 rpms it wants to stay there wont go any higher so i jump on the gas and it will go right past it but will back fire when i let off still
Will

The real question is, 15lbs at what pressure? Flow rates are based on pressure and the relationship is not linear. 15lbs is too low for a Renix engine in most cases. You might get away with it here at 5000' but I wouldn't risk it.

The real issue is to check the exhaust to see if it is running to rich or too lean. You can also do a sparkplug reading.

ok so should i get a set of mustang 5.0 injectors instead it seems that they are the most commonly used upgrade for the jeep and how much do they usally run.just give me the basic info on this upgrade so i can just stop trying to fix whats allready not working and do it right the second time.

Since I doubt the 15 lb injectors were specified at 10 psi, more likely 40 psi or more, they are too low for a Renix, which consensus says uses a 19.7 lb injector. People seem to be happy with the 19 lb Ford Motorsport injectors from what I have read.

Generally, backfire in the exhaust means you are running rich, but that seems unlikely.

Fred

4.9 injectors are 14 lbs

running fuel system pressure, vacuum connected 45 to 60 psi.

based on the 5.0link... i read that uptill '95 the 4.0L's ran with 19LB injectors....i thought when jeep went to HO, they bosted the injectors to 22LBs? is this not true? ....i read it off of a stroker site, which said if you had a HO you didn't need to up grade depending on the bore over and how mild/wild you went with on your stroker....only the earlier non-HOs had to goto bigger injectors...

Help.....please

A 19lb injector is too small for a HO 4.0 They should work fine for renix motors though. The factory injectors for HO setups are right around 21lbs. I tried 19lb injectors in my 93 and they worked ok except for at wot where it starved for fuel.

ok well i still havn't got around to changing the injectors out so i still have the ford f-150 i6 injectors in if i put the vacume to the fuel pesure regulator it will run shitty but i left it on and just started to remove vacume lines till it ran better.I found that with all the lines on it would backfire in the intake but i removed the map sensor vacume line and now it runs better and has a noticeable amound of power gain and also a really loopy idle.what does this all mean know.
Will

Back