• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

F**king Fuel Injection!!!! :(

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
ok i replaced all my injectors, i put it all back together, fire it up and it runs like SH*T...missing and stumbling....smells rich and its burning something off under the hood making it smoke...

What year? What is the condition of your fuel pressure regulator? How about your O2 sensor?

88...everything was fine before i fixed the leaky injectors.....is it possible that the computer needs to re adjust or something????

i just went out there again...its definitely running too rich.....it seems like the more i let it idle, the worse it was getting......

Make sure you didn't pull the hard vacuum line loose on the MAP when you did the swap. That will really screw up things. While there is a definate right and wrong order to put the injector harness connectors on, I haven't seem major problems from that.

old_man said:
Make sure you didn't pull the hard vacuum line loose on the MAP when you did the swap. That will really screw up things. While there is a definate right and wrong order to put the injector harness connectors on, I haven't seem major problems from that.

Ditto Tom, if those injectors are firing out of sequence, you are screwed. Check the MAP vacuum connector as well as teh fuel pressure regulator vac connection.

which one is the map??? does it connect to something up by the firewall?? there was a vacuum line loose i noticed while i was under there but it didnt look important. is it one with the hard plastic tube with the L shaped rubber elbows on the ends? i know that sounds stupid but im drawing a blank right now...kinda frustrated and sick of running back and forth outside in the 20 degree temps popping the hood

olivedrabcj7 said:
which one is the map??? does it connect to something up by the firewall?? there was a vacuum line loose i noticed while i was under there but it didnt look important. is it one with the hard plastic tube with the L shaped rubber elbows on the ends? i know that sounds stupid but im drawing a blank right now...kinda frustrated and sick of running back and forth outside in the 20 degree temps popping the hood

Leave the hood up.

no way....forecasting snow tonight.....dont wanna have to dig around under there anymore than i have to. haha

Uh....yeah....that line is VERY important. It tells the ECU the volume of air moving through the intake manifold. That line must be in good shape or you will have issues. And yes, it's the line that goes from the throttle body to the firewall. Hard plastic.

If this is all too complicated, I say fix your problem with a Holley 650 double pumper.

CRASH

yup you guys are right....hopefully that was my last trip out there for the night....its freeeeeeezin!!! the map vacuum hose had come unplugged....i had to look around under there and luckily i had my trusty haynes manual in the backseat with a vacuum diagram in it. plugged that in and she is back to her old self....there looks to be oil on top and all over the backside of the valve cover of the motor....is it possible that this oil is burning off the back side of the engine somewhere causing a little smoke from under the hood???? id like to think its not the rear main making it smoke...but there is definitely oil coming from that valve cover.

Or not enough boost

Storydude said:
Meh. Boost is overrated....off road that is.

Boost is never over-rated.

Boost - The replacement for displacement.

CRASH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM GOING TO SHOOT THIS THING!!!!!!!!!! THEN RUN IT OFF A CLIFF!!!!!!!!!!! i went out there and drove the jeep earlier, i park it, get out, and i smell...............FUEL....................pop the hood and sure enough, that fawkin injector is leaking gas. looking at it closer, its pouring out the top and there is also bubbles coming from the plastic electrical connector. does that mean its a combination of a fawked up O-ring AND a bad injector??? i had to redo that one injector about 5 times when i was replacing o rings because the upper o ring where it meets the fuel rail kept getting torn when i put it in. ive tried everything, vaseline, WD-40, soaking it in gas for about 30 minutes....EVERYTHING!!!!! its almost to the point of taking it somewhere to have it fixed.

ok, all is good in fuel injector land....i got my replacement injectors, popped some new o rings on them, plugged them in and hooked it all back up and its as good as new!!! no more fuel leaks. i still think my valve cover is leaking causing a faint smell of burning oil under the hood though. thanks for all your help guys!!!!! :)

Back