• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Machining Costs

rmm727

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who own or work in a machine shop.

What tends to be the costs per hour that you charge to run the following machines:

CNC Plasma

Laser

Waterjet

Shouldn't this be in Off-topic?

Anyway, my father's shop charges $75-90 an hour, but they hardly do outside work as they're busy with larger molding companies.

rmm727 said:
For those of you who own or work in a machine shop.

What tends to be the costs per hour that you charge to run the following machines:

CNC Plasma

Laser

Waterjet

id take a look at more than just the cost per hour...

id look at the fact that the plasma will kick the shit outta both other machines in inches/minute...

then there are levels of quality - I know the waterjetter we deal with has 5 different settings on their machine - all with a different edge finish... the better the edge, the slower the machine moves, the more each job will cost...

if you really want to start moving through material though - a CNC Punch will blow all of these tools outta the water any day of the week... and can handle up to 1/4" material...

XJ_ranger said:
id take a look at more than just the cost per hour...

id look at the fact that the plasma will kick the shit outta both other machines in inches/minute...

then there are levels of quality - I know the waterjetter we deal with has 5 different settings on their machine - all with a different edge finish... the better the edge, the slower the machine moves, the more each job will cost...

if you really want to start moving through material though - a CNC Punch will blow all of these tools outta the water any day of the week... and can handle up to 1/4" material...

Sorry, you missed the point of my question. I know how plasma is fast and how a laser and water give a really nice finish. My point was to find out how much is charged when these machines are run to create a part.

From what I have seen, plasma cutters cost less and therefore shops charge less per hour of cut/run time.

Back