• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Detroit Locker vs. New Soft Locker?

basalt51

NAXJA Member #761
Anyone had both? Notice much of a difference? I have an opportunity to get an old version for a pretty good price, but this is going in the rear of my DD (120+ mi/day - mostly highway) so if there is a big difference I may just get a new one. I've considered ARBs but thats alot of dough.

Thanks.

I've had both, huge difference. I had the old one on the rear of my DD pickup and it was noisy, loud, would suddenly release harshly around corners, etc. The new one in my front 30 is quiet, smooth, and I hardly notice it's there. Unless you know how to set the gears yourself and you're getting a killer deal on the old one, I'd say spend the extra for the soft locker. Got my latest one for $450 IIRC.

Last edited:
Where'd you get it?

Crossed Up Off-Road (Kiatek)
3601 E Speedway Blvd
TUCSON, AZ 85716 - 4017
(520) 327-7313

Mike is the owner. He's a good guy to deal with.

I had a SoftLocker in my old D44. That thing was awesome! Only once in a year did I have it unload, scared the piss out of the guy sitting next to me at the stop sign. Other than that I NEVER HEARD IT on the street, very cool. I was running 35s if that matters.

My new Detroit in my 14B also never makes any noise, no clicks or weird noises, very very quite.

I had 4 different detroits for now, front D30, D35 30 spline, D60 and D70.

The oldest one is the current one in the 70 rear ('79) so it will be the old one but i do not notice anything from that locker. Same with the new Detroit in the 60. The unit in the two "small" axles were noticeable and they banged sometimes. It didn't bother me because i knew it was normal operation noise :D But i realised that the bigger the axles are the quiter are those things. I also own a M1008 with a 14B rear with detroit and i never heard any noise from it.

Thanks for the info. So here's the real question. Would you feel comfortable having your wife drive your kids around in the first rain if she never really drives it?

My wife drove my truck that had the old style locker in the rear and didn't care for the annoyance factor but never had problems with it in the rain or anything that would make it dangerous.

I have an old style detroit in my D44. It is REALLY loud, it bangs it clanks, it pops, it unloads, but most importantly it locks and unlocks. Since my 89 XJ is not my daily driver I honestly do not care. I mean it gets a little old if I spend a lot of time in it, but I manage. I got it used for $200 so I can't really compain!

I will have a NEW softlocker in the D60 i'll be putting in next fall.

-Scott

basalt51 said:
Thanks for the info. So here's the real question. Would you feel comfortable having your wife drive your kids around in the first rain if she never really drives it?

It would probably be fine. Although, I did experience a couple instances of spinning the Junk around in the rain. Both times it was on an off-camber section of road sloping to the passenger side making a left turn on the gas.

vintagespeed said:
It would probably be fine. Although, I did experience a couple instances of spinning the Junk around in the rain. Both times it was on an off-camber section of road sloping to the passenger side making a left turn on the gas.

on the gas...or :scared: ON :scared: the gas? ;)

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it!

The Old Detroit Locker is loud, but strong. I have always had good luck with the old style, and have always run them with 35 or 37 inch tires. I am going to try a new style in the front HP Dana 30 with some 4.56 gears, and have an old 9.25 Mopar rear ready to go with a 4 year old, Old-Style Detroit Locker and 4.56 gears for the Rear of the XJ. After about a year, I will tell you all if I have a "new" favorite. Seems like a new Soft Locker Detroit in the front HP Dana 30 should not be the weak-link, and I like the over-kill factor to be high when possible.

Back