• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose and leaking trans line fitting

rmonte4812

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 98 4.0 auto on 31s. I've noticed a small leak from one of my transmission lines. It's leaking at a crimped fitting between a hard line and rubber hose from the tranny to the radiator. I don't really want to pull the entire line and have it repaired. Is it ok to simply cut and hose clamp? And actually I'm not even sure if there is enough slack to do that. Anyways just wondering what's the best way to do this repair

either buy the whole line with disconnect kit (o-rings, spacer, plastic connector, line) from NAPA. Dorman (don't know the #) OR as you say, cut and clamp.

Mine have been cut and clamped with some hose barbs added in for 5+ years and they do not leak. It would seem that since there is pressure in the line that just a hose clamp may not be enough, but the pressure is low, just enough fro circulating the juice.

All my tranny lines are rubber about 1 foot north of the tranny, they're dry as a bone.

x2. just cut and clamp. if one of those lines comes off, youll quickly lose most of your tranny fluid. and tranny fluid is fairly flammable so you dont really want it getting everywhere, such as all over your exhaust

I looked into replacing the whole line when mine started to leak. Guys here said to cut and clamp so I cut the whole rubber line out, bought some multi-purpose line and 2 hose clamps and called it a day. Ive got 7,000-10,000 on it with no issues

I looked into replacing the whole line when mine started to leak. Guys here said to cut and clamp so I cut the whole rubber line out, bought some multi-purpose line and 2 hose clamps and called it a day. Ive got 7,000-10,000 on it with no issues

Yup, 2 hose clamps and some bulk hose. All local hardware store items

Cut the metal line right before the rubber/metal crimp with a small tubing cutter. Cut off the crimped section from the rubber line. Flare the end of metal line and use a fuel injection clamp, 14-16mm. No need to buy hose unless the hose is damaged, dry rotted, etc...

I really like the fuel injection clamps, they give a little extra piece of mind when attaching pressurized lines.

How do you plug the lines so you don't lose fluid while you work? Golf tees come to mind. Will they stay in?

Autozone Spectre 3/8" Barb to 3/8" NPT

Does it come with nut for 3/8" NPT ?

Thanks

CherokeeXJ1996

Back