• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

0630 Exhaust Manifold Constantly Cracking

3blackbirds

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out this issue for my 1999 Cherokee with 0630 head.

Within the past year:
Stinky Fab Racing Motor mounts.
(I've had M.O.R.E, but they're a bit too stiff for me)
OEM Trans mount
Mandrel bent down pipe with 6" flex joint.

I keep breaking manifolds at the welds every 2 years. I've gone from cheap to APN and Dorman. I'm tired of doing this job. I've just replaced my 4th.

My next move is to put the two piece cast exhaust manifold from the 0331 head, plug the 02 sensors and have a new down pipe made up with a new bung for one 02 sensor. I know I'll need an adapter plate because the 0331 manifold won't cover the 0631 exhaust ports. Yes, a more restrictive manifold but I'm tired of the cracking. I have a 4" lift, so piping will clear the driveshaft.

Is there anything I'm missing or can consider before I put the two piece on? I don't want to spend hundreds on this for an aftermarket two piece right now. I'd like to get this set up and stable before I purchase a nice Borla or Banks etc. down the road.

Thanks in advance
user_offline.gif

Why not just purchase a good header? It will compliment whatever you do down-stream later! I have the Banks Revolver and it been great.

Borla makes (or at least used to) headers and even a down-pipe for 4.0 XJ's. It's expensive, but they also warranty their exhaust stuff for "A Million Miles." Even if your have to change it out every 2 years, the only thing it should cost you is time.

I have been running my Borla for a bit over three years now. No issues.

The only hints I can give is to make sure and use Bellville washers and ideally use a flex pipe section after the header. Make sure the exhaust pipe is supported, not just by the header at the front. Put a hanger where it goes from crossing over and starts rearward.

Back