• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap Speed Build

Curser

NAXJA Forum User
I am going for it. I have only one ride, a minimum wage job, and 17credits worth of classes. But what the hell, I want to blast threw the desert and run over turtles like everyone else. I was very inspired by sick dog, thanks buddy, hope I can pass on the inspiration. Here is what I started with.

DSC_5074.jpg

1990 XJ, Renix 4.0, 5 Speed Manual, 4x4, Costum Money Freshener.

IMG_0449.jpg

Bed-liner on the inside, no back seats, passengers=sucker gas mileage.

IMG_0453.jpg

New couch to get some studying done.

IMG_0448.jpg

I painted the rims black and the body a darker blue. I used the $50 paint job method using rustoleum.

IMG_0451.jpg

Worthless intake, probably not worth the trouble.

IMG_0455.jpg

Stripping the interior

IMG_0450.jpg

Don't know whats with all that crap on my roof...

re: crap on the roof: my jeep has allways made a clunking noise... long story short when i stripped it for a cage, those cross members had come unglued from the roof, looks like a previous owner succesfully diagnosed his clunking noise, and fixed it? is it solid, or is it seperated again? trim the excess poo poo with a razor knife.

i caged my dd, on weekends/after work, you get real good at pulling the seats.... but it can be done. dunno about the minimum wage part though, hope youve got help. ive got $600+ just in tube.

Long arm and suspension are my main focus right now. I have not picked anything specific, if I could I would go full traction for the long arm and foa or king for the shocks. But I will just have to see what I can afford. Beggars can't be choosers. Everything else can wait. (cage, fuel cell, bump stop, ect.) I am not expecting to have it finished anytime in the next few years, I just want to start working toward it.

I have access to a mig welder so I plan on pulling the axles and trussing them, stiffening the uni-body. I would definitely do that before I put in a cage.

VAhasnoWAVES sounds like you need to put in a third row. Hahaha.

xcm the cross is solid. Definitely need to cut the poo. Did you build the cage yourself?

Nice thing about a long term build. You can wait for deals on parts. Figure out your suspension, and keep an eye on the classifieds, craigslist, etc. you can pick up your shocks used for a lot less then new. They might sit on the shelf for a while, until it comes together, but hey, they make a conversation piece until you can use them. Welcome to the addiction! :D

Back