• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My custom corners

Jes

NAXJA Memeber #293 URF Racing
NAXJA Member
I had gotten a little blemish at the shopping mall so I decided to cover it up with some steel panels.
P4120102.JPG

I had actually planned on making some of these over a year ago but some other project always came up. I started by cutting some steel to shape...
picture.JPG

...then had a local sheet metal shop bend them up to my specs...
picture.JPG

I then test fit them and and made some tops and mounting brackets...
picture.JPG

Last edited:
More...

I then had my metal bitch tack weld everything in place...
welding.jpg

Then I removed them for the finnish welding, grinding, smoothing, and painting.
picture.JPG

The finnished product came out very nice IMO...
picture.JPG

picture.JPG

I used 12ga for the panels and 1/8" for the tops and mounting brackets. Total cost was under $300 but these were very time consuming to make, I probably have 15 hours in them. Next will be a custom wrap around bumper to cover up the crushed lower panels.
Big thanks goes to CRASH for the welding and to FarmerMatt who gave me some tips on how to wire the LED lights.

Jes

Last edited:
Yeah, i'm jealous, i really need to make some of those. What made them so expensive, if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks

Pat
NAXJA member

Man that looks GREAT...how did you communicate your "specs" to the shop? Did you just guestimate how much the bends would effect the fit when you measured and cut your flat piece of steel?

P

Basically I went down to the sheet metal place and talked to the person who was going to do the work. I told him what I wanted and asked what the best way to do it would be. I then did the cutouts and had him bend them up. 12ga steel is about 3/32" thick so the bends did not effect overall length that much.
What made them so expensive is I live in an expensive place. The bending alone was $90. Yes I could have gotten it done cheaper out of the city but it would have cost me gas money instead. The lights and the wireing were the bulk of the expense.
Body shops wanted $400+ to fix the dent minus paint( :eek: ) and I might have ended up denting it again and breaking another tail light. I fixed it permanently for cheaper so I'm happy. :D

Jes

That is sweet! Do you still know/have the measurements for cutting the steel? That looks really good and I think I may want to have it done to mine too. I also want my front fenders done that way.....some backed into mine....big ole dent.

Got any good side pics. Just got my next mod. Thanks Jeff

Looks cool. The fad is catching on FarmerMatt ;)

I wished I would have went higher up on the rear quarters.

standard.jpg

Pair, I see the rocker protection fad hasn't caught on in yer' neck 'o the woods:rolleyes:

Sean

Back