• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Wall

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
Is on VH1 Classic right now.

:cheers:

riverfever said:
Is on VH1 Classic right now.

:cheers:

You suck! I am stuck at work!

Glen

To make matters worse.....

My pizza should be here in a minute. I think I will have another Heineken while I'm waiting. :D

My idiot kid blithely informed me yesterday that Pink Floyd sucks. Apparently "all their songs sound the same". I calmly explained that Roger Waters is a genius and his discography is a shining example of songwriting and then asked him to think about that carefully while tumbling to a stop. Then I kicked his ass right out the car door when I rounded the nearest corner...

Oh Beej...you make me giggle. :roflmao:

You're right...that's pretty trippy. I know that it's highly unlikely that PF created Dark Side of the Moon to coincide with the movie but it sure makes you wonder. Wasn't it Nick Mason that said that the two were not related at all and that the album was based off the Sound of Music?

Its quite a movie, Pink Floyd's career, notably Gilmour and Water's have spanned decades worth of songwriting, musical beauty and just plain great music.

For those about to rock the f*ck out, we salute you!

Beej said:
My idiot kid blithely informed me yesterday that Pink Floyd sucks. Apparently "all their songs sound the same". I calmly explained that Roger Waters is a genius and his discography is a shining example of songwriting and then asked him to think about that carefully while tumbling to a stop. Then I kicked his ass right out the car door when I rounded the nearest corner...

That would be about the same approach I'd use on my two - considering the crap they listen to (Hell, it's hardly "music" - what's the point?)

If they're lucky, I'll slow down a bit for the turn.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but weren't most (if not all) of the Roger Waters/Pink Floyd albums based around some sort of story? I can't recall them all, but I seem to remember hearing:

"Dark Side of the Moon" being about Syd Barrett (after taking the BIG acid trip! In English mythos, the Dark Side of the Moon is where insane people go when they die..)

"The Final Cut" about Roger Waters' father.

"The Wall" being largely autobiographical Roger Waters.

I could be wrong - so please correct me if I am - but I keep getting hit in the head, so I need to have all this straightened out...

I was so happy when Dark Side and The Final Cut came out on CD - I got tired of wearing out vinyl and cassettes... I bought a CD player just because those two came out on CD, 'way back when...

As far as "new music," I keep in mind that the purpose of music was, originally, to assist in preserving the oral tradition and oral history of various areas. Songwriters were storytellers - which is why classic rock, folk, blues, and (some) country ring so true - you can hear the life behind the songs. Don't believe me? Try listening to "Night Moves" by Bob Seger, or "The Great Filling Station Holdup" or "Trip Around the Sun" by Jimmy Buffett. There are stories there!

What story can you hear behind anything done in the last ten years? Boy bands aren't old enough to have stories to tell - neither are female "pop icons" (female version of a boy band) when they're big

A real songwriter only gets better as he gets older - more stories to tell. I'd like to sit and yarn with a few of these guys, just to hear the stories that didn't make it into songs! Roger Waters would be interesting, to say the least...

5-90 said:
Stop me if I'm wrong, but weren't most (if not all) of the Roger Waters/Pink Floyd albums based around some sort of story? I can't recall them all, but I seem to remember hearing:

"Dark Side of the Moon" being about Syd Barrett (after taking the BIG acid trip! In English mythos, the Dark Side of the Moon is where insane people go when they die..)

"The Final Cut" about Roger Waters' father.

"The Wall" being largely autobiographical Roger Waters.

That's interesting stuff 5-90. Not sure on that stuff but I do believe the story with Dark Side of the Moon. Idiot Wind seems to be pretty wise with music trivia and I know he's a big fan of PF and Roger Waters. Maybe he'll chime in if he's not busy looking for oil leaks. :laugh3:

Worth a shot. I've had my grey cells scrambled so damn much I'm surprised I can still speak English sometimes...

This last whack to the head cost me every other damn language - at least I didn't lose anything important... It's funny how many medical people can't believe I'm still upright and kicking, tho (just heard it this past week from a neurosurgeon, a cardiologist, and an EEG tech, in fact. Whatever I'm here to do, I must not have done it yet...)

replayTV.... back to wombling my battlestar episodes...

RichP said:
replayTV.... back to wombling my battlestar episodes...

Speaking of replay, darned if I didn't have to do an upgrade for the change in DST on it...

If'n I want to REALLY hear The Wall, I'll drop the DVD in the stereo..... the rear channel speakers are Bose 301 Gen IIIs.

The Wall

One of the defining musicals of my time.

"Look Mummy, there's an airplane up in the sky!"

"Don't look so frightened, it's just a passing phase! - One of my bad days"

x2 on the DVD Jeff

Careful with that axe Eugene!

Back