• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock (Jasper), Golen or ATK

pityocamptes

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is a jeep forum, but I have a 74 IHC scout with the AMC 258. Its a tired out motor, and I rebuilt it about 3 years ago after blowing the engine (oil dropped, knock, and boom)... the rebuilt was basically a hone job, straighten the crank, new rods, pistons, just to get it going - was in school and needed something fast, and cheap. Anyways, I'm looking at getting something with a little more zip considering the beast weighs a ton.

Could someone recommend an engine supplier and if I should go stroked or stock? Not looking at spending a ton of cash, but need something reliable for a DD and offroad. Currently running a weber 32/36, HEI, and 4.56's. Any help appreciated. Thanks. - Oh, I have been looking at all the Titan threads and will probably stay away from the.

4.6 stroker would be badass in a Scout! BMyohn runs a Golen 4.6 in his rig and It has held up well to him being anything but nice to it! that option means spending about 4k though(which is a bargain compared to some V8 crate motors)!

Thanks! 4K is a lot. I don't know if I could swing my wife on that ;) Anyways, I see where ATK is a little less expensive, does that translate to cheaper made stroker?

Also, when going with a stroked engine, do you necessarily have to go with FI or would my 2bbl 32/36 weber be enough? Thanks again!

Go FI, carbs blow......

Since it is a 74 and likely doesn't need a smog check I would find a wrecked 4wd and swap the engine, trans, and t-case. A wrecked truck for a grand and Painless Performance makes a bunch of different wiring harness' for around $500 that make engine swaps easier. The hardest part would be fabricating mounts. As you said, a Scout is heavy. A V8 would be great.

What would be required to do this on a stroked 258 AMC, and what would the approximate cost be? Thanks again. Yea, carbs do blow.
I know the fuel injection kits for the 258 motor are pretty steep. I'm not experienced in converting vehicles from carb to FI....yet(about to do a 4.0 swap in my 86 MJ), so i'd be no help in that area.

V8 swap!! Easily done for less than 4k.

V8 swap!! Easily done for less than 4k.

I thought about that, I believe the AMC 304 will swap with the same T18 bell housing, but then you have to change out the HEI (Dizzy), exhaust, motor mounts, carb, etc. Not sure if it is worth it as those parts would probably run close to 1K? What does a crate 304 run?

Back