NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 21st, 2020, 07:51
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Lengthen a Rubicon Express RE1660 trackbar

The 1" longer Rubicon Express joint end arrived today and I installed it. I had been running the original joint end with only about 3 threads engaged, or about 3/16". I had it that way for 15 years and I beat on it pretty hard. Are you sure it needs to have the full 1" length of threads engaged in the joint end (1" being the bar's diameter)? I was pretty sure a mechanic told me that you need at least half a diameter engaged, not a full diameter, but that was in reference to the control arms, not the track bar.

With a full inch of the bar going into the tube end, I am only gaining 3/16" distance that I can move the axle towards the passenger side. I moved it a 1/4" over, meaning that 15/16" is engaged in the tube, but I'd like to move it another 1/8" over, meaning that only 13/16" will be engaged.

Anyone have any trouble (damage) running an adjustable trackbar with less than the full diameter engaged into the joint end? Thanks.
Old November 21st, 2020, 08:38
NAXJA Forum User

Are you sure your axle is centered? My list is almost indentical to yours.
Old November 21st, 2020, 09:04
NAXJA Forum User

I don't have an alignment shop, so I am going by a few things. First is the angle of the JKS disconnects in relation to the PS and DS. Moving the axle 1/4" towards PS definitely improved the JKS disconnect angles, and I think another 1/8" will make them symmetrical.

The other thing I'm using is a level. I set the level up vertical from the top of the tyre's sidewall, when the bubble is in the middle, I measure the horizontal distance from the level to the Bushwacker cut-out fender flares. Driver's side is at about a 7/8" gap while passenger's side is only at 3/8" gap. Another 1/8" should close this up a bit better.

Perhaps I have a little more than 5.5" lift in the front, I don't know. I know the ACOS on the passenger's side had to be adjusted about 1" longer than DS to get the front leveled out. Rear is definitely at 5.5" lift, that is unless Rubicon Express' leaf springs are taller than advertised. In the rear I have 3.5" RE leafs with a 1.5" teraflex shackle, and 1/2" blocks. Rear PS has an extra 3/8" block to level the vehicle due to my Kaymar swing out tyre carrier putting all the weight on the PS rear bumper.
Old November 21st, 2020, 10:28
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoeuf View Post
I had been running the original joint end with only about 3 threads engaged, or about 3/16". I had it that way for 15 years and I beat on it pretty hard.
Then consider yourself lucky. This is one example why I tell my wife to never get behind a lifted XJ on the freeway

General rule of thumb is one thread dia MINIMUM, some mfgr's and suppliers recommend 1.5 thread dia minimum...
http://www.rodend.net/Custom-Machini...Q/minimum.html

Quote:
I moved it a 1/4" over, meaning that 15/16" is engaged in the tube, but I'd like to move it another 1/8" over, meaning that only 13/16" will be engaged.
Don't do this, especially on a critical suspension part on a vehicle that you drive with others on the road.

Quote:
Anyone have any trouble (damage) running an adjustable trackbar with less than the full diameter engaged into the joint end? Thanks.
Yes, not a trackbar but one example here and I'm sure there are others...
see last post
https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/1-...w-much.661273/
Old November 21st, 2020, 11:17
NAXJA Forum User

I doubt it was merely luck; I am an inherently unlucky person.

From what I could tell, there's only 1" of threading in the tube itself, so I can't see how going more than 1" would make any difference. Also, Rubicon Express stated 1" in an e-mail. I was hoping for some more anecdotal accounts of failures for less than a full diameter of engagement on a trackbar on a lifted Cherokee.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 02:59
NAXJA Forum User

What I am confused about is that with the original trackbar joint end, I measured about 1/2" off centre for the axle (w.r.t. fenders), with the axle being more 1/2" more on the driver's side of the vehicle, so with the 1" longer end, I adjusted it so that the axle is 1/4" more towards the passenger's side. This theoretically should have centred the axle, but it didn't. Based off the fender flares, the axle is still 1/2" off centre, though the JKS Quick disconnect angles looked a little a bit better. So what is going on here?

Is the centring force of the upper/lower control arms and springs much greater than that of the trackbar; to the extend that adjusting the trackbar moves the chassis upward instead of outward? If that is the case, I can see why the ACOS on the passenger's side had to be adjusted 1" longer than on the driver's side to get the vehicle level. I still do not understand what is going on here and why.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 06:02
NAXJA Forum User

Lengthen a Rubicon Express RE1660 trackbar

This is how I take my measurements. I recommend you to do the same. (Not trying to be rude)

Support front axle with Jack stands.
Remove wheels and tires.
Bolt rotors on tight to unit bearing
Take a straight edge (I use a cheap framing square) on the rotor hat.
Use a tape measure from the square to the frame in a straight line. (Don't forget to account for the trackbar bracket if you measure to it)

I actually cheat mine.25" driver to help clearance things. It has no affect on the drivability.

The control arms have much less authority than the track bar on centering the axle, but after making an adjustment I jump up and down on the front bumper to settle everything.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old November 22nd, 2020, 08:38
NAXJA Member

Yes, measure to the frame not the fenders. You should be able to find some factory feature that is identical on each side like a stamped hole, edge, or sheet metal seam. I would also level out the ACOS on each side before measuring. My axle is purposely off center to prevent the driver side coil from rubbing against the TB bracket...not a big deal to have it off center.
When all said and done, make sure you have enough thread engagement on the TB.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 23:46
NAXJA Forum User

Next time I'm under there, I'll try to get some contraption setup to measure to the chassis. Probably in a week or two. Unless there is some asymmetry with the body around the fenders, the results should be similar.

It may be that my lift height is closer to 6". My front springs are Rubicon Express 4.5" springs. One the DS, the JKS ACOS is on the shortest setting now - which provides what, 1.5" of lift? That spec is hard to find. That would make the front 6" of lift. I just levelled the car out again (it has been 15 yrs afterall) and the PS ACOS is adjusted 1-5/8" taller than DS for a level ride. In the rear, I forgot that the 4-deg axle shims I have have some slight lift in them as well, so the back lift would sit at 5.75", not 5.5".

Another poster, RCP Phx, mentioned he has a similar setup to mine, which I assume that means 5.5"-6.0" of lift. He also said he needed the 1" longer trackbar joint end. RCP Phx, do you recall how much engagement you had before your front axle centred?

I've left mine at 15/16" engagement. Levelling out the ACOS (shortened the DS ACOS all the way), I now only measure 1/4" off centre for the axle as based off the fenders - not the 1/2" I measured before. This is probably good enough for me, but I am curious how much engagement RCP Phx has on his [similar] setup. It just seems odd that the standard RE trackbar says it can accommodate 5.5" of lift, when in fact I needed a 1" longer bar.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 06:46
Stranger

Quote:
It just seems odd that the standard RE trackbar says it can accommodate 5.5" of lift, when in fact I needed a 1" longer bar.
Marketing.

Scott Adams nailed it when he called it another word for fraud.

Never trust what the marketing folks say.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old November 23rd, 2020, 07:00
NAXJA Forum User

Lordoeuf, I don't remember how much thread is in mine, I bought those extended couplers about 15yrs ago and never did install them. My RE lift sits at exactly at 5.5".
Old November 23rd, 2020, 14:22
NAXJA Forum User

I see, so you are using the standard RE joint end.

I guess I will disconnect the trackbar, jump on the front bumper, and check the level to ensure that the lengthened trackbar isn't effectively lifting the driver's side. This could explain why the ACOS on DS is adjusted to 0" while the PS is at 1-5/8" to achieve a level chassis.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 14:23
NAXJA Forum User

This thread kind of gives me hope that my RE1660 track bar will be short enough to run with 3-4.5" of lift instead of the 5.5" as advertised