• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle Angle and Leaf Springs

JonnyCat63

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Questions on shackle angle and leaf springs with a bit of a rant. So I have the RE1463 leaf springs with RE2700 shackles. The leafs are listed to give about 3.5" of lift, while the shackle adds another 1.25". Perfect for what I want to do.

As you can see from the picture, the shackle angle sucks at ride height. Why does Rubicon Express make their leafs this short? Is it because they suck, or are other manufacturers like this, too? I mean does RE just take the stock dimensions and then just arch the springs for the increased height? It seems like they take the stock length eye to eye and then bend it up some more. Why the hell don't they make them longer? Wouldn't you need to take into account the shorter eye to eye distance when arching the springs? I'm baffled. It seems like I've read people having this exact same problem.

Maybe they are just cheap springs and I got what I paid for? Do they not make them longer because the increased length would make the shackle hit the back part of the frame at full compression? Doesn't seem likely as I don't have that much up travel. Doesn't seem like the increase in length would be that much. Looks like there is plenty of room for increased length.

picture.php

Anyway, If the centering bolt to rear mount dimension was just increased an inch or so, they would be perfect. So my questions are as follows:

1. I don't really want to install a no lift shackle box. Anyone have any suggestions for other leaf springs that work better than the RE's? I would rather spring (pun intended) for longer leafs than install shackle boxes. Just my personal preference.

2. I also thought about taking the leafs apart and having just the top leafs remade a bit longer to fit my needs. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts?

3. Are shackle boxes the only real solution here?

I don't really want to install a no lift shackle box. Anyone have any suggestions for other leaf springs that work better than the RE's? I would rather spring (pun intended) for longer leafs than install shackle boxes. Just my personal preference.

Iron rock offroad has their leafs advertised as being longer to achieve better shackle angles. Plus they're military wrap and look beefy! I wish i discovered them before i bought my rustys leafs.

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/xj-35-leaf-springs.html

Thank you. That might be the ticket. I'll call them on Monday and get more info. I have a lot of IRO stuff on the Jeep, so I'm familiar with their quality.

Glad I could help! Let me know if you end up getting them I’d like to see some feedback on them. One of my XJ’s I have a similarly setup to yours. I bought 3.5 RE leafs and zone 1” lift boomerang shackles. My shackle angle didn’t turn out ideal but it’s not completely vertical. I originally planned to buy the ironman4x4 relocation brackets but I’m not too thrilled about cutting the old brackets out and drilling through the rear cargo area.

Glad I could help! Let me know if you end up getting them I’d like to see some feedback on them. One of my XJ’s I have a similarly setup to yours. I bought 3.5 RE leafs and zone 1” lift boomerang shackles. My shackle angle didn’t turn out ideal but it’s not completely vertical. I originally planned to buy the ironman4x4 relocation brackets but I’m not too thrilled about cutting the old brackets out and drilling through the rear cargo area.

I feel the same way about installing the relocation brackets for the same reasons. Plus I'm tired of working under the Jeep after frame stiffiners, long arm lift kit, new TC, etc. LOL!

I'll post up on what IRO says on Monday. I'm going to get an eye to eye measurement from them to check the length.

The re1463 are absolutely a longer main leaf than stock. I just installed some with 2 leafs removed to reduce the lift. My shackle angle is less than 45 degrees with non broken in leafs, and they give me about 2-2.5" lift with about 100 lbs extra load.

What is the actual lift you're seeing? What is the weight in your Jeep? RE leaf springs have always been designed to carry extra load. They will provide extra lift and ride rough without an extra 200 lbs or so (guessing on that weight a bit).

More important is that the angles don't look "bad" but putting mileage on the springs it will get better.

i used shackle relocation brackets and an adjustable length shackle and now got 45 degree shackle angle. I used iron man products for the shackle and relocator, nicely made parts.

The re1463 are absolutely a longer main leaf than stock. I just installed some with 2 leafs removed to reduce the lift. My shackle angle is less than 45 degrees with non broken in leafs, and they give me about 2-2.5" lift with about 100 lbs extra load.

What is the actual lift you're seeing? What is the weight in your Jeep? RE leaf springs have always been designed to carry extra load. They will provide extra lift and ride rough without an extra 200 lbs or so (guessing on that weight a bit).

Looks like with the shackles I'm about 4.5" of lift so far. The ride height is fine, I'm just not sure about the angle.

Stock weight back there, no aftermarket bumper.

Have the same setup on my other 2 heeps, and it's a stiff ride.

More important is that the angles don't look "bad" but putting mileage on the springs it will get better.

I had hoped that, but I have the exact same setup on my other 3 heeps, and it hasn't really changed at all. Still a stiff ride after many years. Hasn't really settled in like I had hoped. Maybe I need to beat on them harder! :laugh:

Maybe I'm just not sold on the RE springs. I'll look into the IRO springs tomorrow.

Just looking to see what people have done that have encountered this situation and their solutions without using shackle relocation boxes.

i used shackle relocation brackets and an adjustable length shackle and now got 45 degree shackle angle. I used iron man products for the shackle and relocator, nicely made parts.

I've used some of their products, too. Good stuff.

I just didn't want to do the shackle relocation if I can help it. Not ruling it out yet, maybe that's the best way to go, but I think a little longer leaf would go a long way.

After posting up last night, I did a little more research and it seems to be a common problem for a lot of people when lifting their junk, not just XJ's. Seems like some do cobble some longer leafs from other applications.

FernGreen clued me in to IRO's leafs, and they are the only one I found so far that specifically mentions the shorter leaf problem. Seems like it is a known issue at least to some.

This is key, I'm running the 4.5" RE's with 5.5" coils in the front and still sat higher in back til I got my tire carrier/bumper put on then it sat level. Never had an issue with angle, stock mount locations, running RE's on my YJ too, they're great springs but they need a little weight.

Copy of PM sent to OP.

Hey Jonny,

I'm installing RE2700 shackles on my'99. Finally found a picture of them installed (yours) since I had no instructions with the kit. I see yours are installed with the 'relief' oval to the rear which makes sense to me. I just wanted to confirm that's correct and ask whether you have any issue getting at the grease zerk with it facing forward between shackle bucket and spring eye?
At least that's the way mine will be. I'm also removing the bumper bolt since the reliefs didn't provide enough clearance for that.

Thanks!

I received a PM asking about my RE1463 leaf removals, so I figured I'd update this thread with that information.

I removed the longest leaf (directly below the main) and the shortest. I also put in the RE2700 5" length shackle.

Measurement from the center of axle to bottom of stock flare is ~20", which is generally regarded as 3" of total lift. This measurement is with no extra weight in the back, and the shackle angle is maybe 15-20 degrees. Extra weight brings that lift down with a more angled shackle.

I am also ~20" for the same measurement in the front. This is with stock coils (I think upcountry, maybe?), and a 1.75" spacer. The ride quality feels about the same b/w front and rear at this point.

31" x 10.5 BFG ATs for reference.

PwLkN2T9qscMRBKCLz2iZM8FJkU0OO1-3yUJTUvjegpSlNWppb8sbYes4PvCV-68j0DiC4GVV9IGq6bWE-khVZqlkqHHEd18-5GX8suEg80lg2v73iEiyvA565n75uRMCDGfRmXqBwq0EooYYvEiGr9hpLqY9U8jFYRs_AjJMoo0OGakVlGQC24psw_MH6m5y3-gg6hdnnGJ0B7rYaB6l98-1X84_XW7llrlmbrzXS9xsiDPNZS72BMl6KNy_AN-tIQkNxVV7y1BL046stpJudf7sQgz2i635PbI73WknhjgqR-O1WT95V9lUhYLLQpxGEBCcRvxWUuO83C0DnICsL5OCVyQ8uZNt4UUtc9ySnz3IpzoUBuOrBgU4OGDC4qVItfL-VCAwpJkdAaeN3kEUdeWzi_k4ycQ38-NeRL72mc0slxcZ9_hf5CWnz7-kz_hF4fV0bCMojcBrP0vb933Swe0R0lz4akAZC-ON5xyPqedBZ_wqbk3YHSmBUJwfTUw2n0YaK8Sq00ReQXWWvTqqeB6W0DAyVVTcNH-NvvSWniLSpxk4Nw1RKV-GditR6PObXxmYFIG9Eh_UW9p6SWRBf8vclNZ6Fd1s2hVyTcLcaGgQzCTYtgQtndOZ07up8mXi0lwxIzISDTMKQHlWFzQmQ-fa1wN922qjttD7lBwMuGtL7kWhcbcEgyiIc5CXYSmfskK1z8ubKozoRvRrPNz31V5=w1250-h937-no

Back