• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Leaf Replacement (3.5" OME Lift)

I would say that there is no ideal angle. Its only necessary to understand a few things: 1) The greater the angle, the softer the ride and more travel for a given spring. 2) A greater starting shackle angle produces a faster falling spring rate. 3) The shackle angle should not ever be greater than perhaps 80 degrees from vertical at full compression of the suspension. Even that is probably too much because the spring rate at the wheels will be very soft at 80 degrees.

Unless you are planning to install an SRB, you won't have any significant control over shackle angle. Your only options to tweak it will be the length of the spring purchased and the length of the shackle. Most ready-made leaf springs for the XJ are going to put the shackle angle not far off vertical for typical lengths of aftermarket shackles.

Very helpful. I am planning SRB, it's just a matter of whether to use what I have in hand or order the HD bolt in.

If you call them both and ask what the center to center distance is you will find out they are the same. I have a pair of each!

Took your advice and called Rusty's.

0.75" @ 4.75"
1.5" @ 6"

RE2700 @ 5.0" so yes, the difference is minimal. Thanks for saving me $70! And the 'lift' is dependent on where I mount them in the SRB when I figure out which of those to use.

Really hope I'm not coming off as argumentative, I'm just trying to get this all straight in my head.

I remember back several years when I installed the OME kit and bought the SRB & RE shackles. Spoke with Dirk at DPG and he strongly recommended against using either of these pieces. I don't remember the reasoning but I was never asked about clearance or shackle angle. Not a dis on him, just the conversation I remember.

Dirk's a great guy, met him a couple times, but without your Jeep in front of him he's only guessing "although calculated" at what your needs might be.

The SRBs you linked, idk they look odd... and a less sturdy version of others. Also lowers the mount 3"s! Thats more lift- Now the more angle you add into the shackle that goes down, but still... The nonlift version looks better (keeping with that brand) imo- I'm just partial to it tho
*the link you posted (add some lift) are easier to install. Like 100%. So if thats your tipping scale disregard the rest.

https://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/products/no-lift-xj-shackle-relocation-brackets

I still prefer the StinkyFab... not because thats what I have... but because thats WHY I have
The design is just... better imo. Same price on sale... maybe you prefer the others but here are these, last I'll name drop. You'd think I'm getting a kick down by now! Lmao

https://www.stinkyfab.com/collections/suspension/products/sfr-xj-shackle-relocation-brackets

Last edited:
The SRBs you linked, idk they look odd... and a less sturdy version of others. Also lowers the mount 3"s! Thats more lift- Now the more angle you add into the shackle that goes down, but still... The nonlift version looks better (keeping with that brand) imo- I'm just partial to it tho
*the link you posted (add some lift) are easier to install. Like 100%. So if thats your tipping scale disregard the rest.

https://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/products/no-lift-xj-shackle-relocation-brackets

I still prefer the StinkyFab... not because thats what I have... but because thats WHY I have
The design is just... better imo. Same price on sale... maybe you prefer the others but here are these, last I'll name drop. You'd think I'm getting a kick down by now! Lmao

https://www.stinkyfab.com/collections/suspension/products/sfr-xj-shackle-relocation-brackets

I have used both styles. Stinky is a better design imo. If you ever need the stock hole position, that is not an option with the hdoffroad ones.

:eek: Ya man those look smoked to me...

I'm pretty happy with the IRO 3.5 leafs with add a leaf option. Be warned, the extra leaf is separate on delivery. Not overly hard to take the pack apart and put it in just, overly annoying.

Those new shackles will provide some more lift, but they are definitely beefier than the stockers and I'd throw em in when you install the new springs

Wow, I can't believe the patience you guys had with me over this (as always).

Here's my "trail/hunting" LOAD. JCR rear tire carrier w/33x10.5" KM2, High lift, 2 Rotopax (gas & water), wooden box with bottle jack, fluids, a bag of tools (20# maybe), ARB compressor, heavy bag of recovery gear, cooler, sawzall, 1st aid, yada-blah, and a Cabelas SxS bag strapped to the back seat. Occasionally a pair or 2 of tire chains. Some of this is distributed to the back seat but most is over the rear wheels. And I wonder if/why my OME springs might be shot.. guess I should-oughta weight this pig someday.
And then, on a good day, throw an elk in there, and maybe a passenger or 2.

I'm going to order the IRO 3.5" leaf springs and the 'add-a-leaf'. Was considering just the pack and see how it goes.. c'mon man, do it only once for a change.
Already have the extended shackles spoken of here on.. Who knows if I'll go SRB or not. I'll have to see how it goes after new springs and breakin I guess.

I went with the add a leaf as well... you have to add the leaf your self which wasn't clear to me when I ordered up but its what ever.

I'd rather the extra leaf (deavers have 9 right?) For the extra trail gear weight... if its somehow too tall, there are numerous shackle offerings to easily get you where you want to be.

I'd rather the extra leaf (deavers have 9 right?) For the extra trail gear weight... if its somehow too tall, there are numerous shackle offerings to easily get you where you want to be.

Agreed. I have lift shackles (with clearance notch) on there now and will see how it sits, and either leave as is or get different shackles, or maybe SRB with OEM shackles. Kinda hunt/peck. My first concern will be clearance toward the rear with the longer springs but optimistic about shackle angle.

I'm planning on new Metalcloak front springs but will hold off on those to see ride height with the new rears. They offer 3.5", 4.5", and 6" for XJ/TJ. Hoping for 4.5 to work for me.

Last edited:
Back