NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 21st, 2014, 04:57
NAXJA Forum User

Noise when stopping?

how's it going guys? I recently bought another XJ for my DD. I managed to score a 2000 with only eighty five thousand miles on it :-) the Jeep runs and drives great there's no rust either. but when I come to a stop it feels like something in the rear is shifaxle almost like axle wrap. This is my 5th XJ and I have never experienced anything like this before? Does anyone have any ideas what it could be everything on the Jeep is tight and in great shape.
Old October 21st, 2014, 05:02
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: Noise when stopping?

Grease the Slip Yoke on the transfer case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Old October 21st, 2014, 08:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Grease the Slip Yoke on the transfer case.
Ok I'll pull the shaft off and try greasing it up good. Front shafted it good and greased already
Old October 21st, 2014, 18:45
NAXJA Forum User

I'm betting its like a clunk sound and might be doing the same when you pull away from a complete stop. As Tim_MN said, grease that slip yoke up well.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
I'm betting its like a clunk sound and might be doing the same when you pull away from a complete stop. As Tim_MN said, grease that slip yoke up well.
Its not so much of a clunk, its just you feel something surge almost underneath. I pulled drivehaft, slip yoke moved very smooth so don't think that was the problem. I also adjusted the 4x4 linkage to stop the rattle, that seemed to help with the surge feeling? Very odd. Swaybar bushings are worn so I'm wondering if its maybe the swaybar kinda racked and settling back possibly?
Old October 23rd, 2014, 09:38
NAXJA Forum User

A few times now I've found loose axle U-bolts. We'd go on a clunk hunt, everything from brakes through shocks and end up at the rear axle U-bolts. Now it is one of the first places I look.

Could be a brake binding. I've seen them stick because for many reasons, dirt in the drums, through loose unit hub bearings causing a disc to grab. Bake fluid soaked rear pads will also stick. Notches worn in the front pad rails, causing the pads to stick then slip.

Control arm bushings may do that also.

I had a clunk I thought was the control arm bushings, it turned out to be the top sway bar link doughnuts, they were crushed flat, really hard and had slop.

Last edited by 8Mud; October 23rd, 2014 at 09:43.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 14:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mud View Post
A few times now I've found loose axle U-bolts. We'd go on a clunk hunt, everything from brakes through shocks and end up at the rear axle U-bolts. Now it is one of the first places I look.

Could be a brake binding. I've seen them stick because for many reasons, dirt in the drums, through loose unit hub bearings causing a disc to grab. Bake fluid soaked rear pads will also stick. Notches worn in the front pad rails, causing the pads to stick then slip.

Control arm bushings may do that also.

I had a clunk I thought was the control arm bushings, it turned out to be the top sway bar link doughnuts, they were crushed flat, really hard and had slop.
i was thinking u bolts also.

all the brakes are brand new so that isnt the issue.

swaybar bushings are worn bad so ill swap them. CA bushings seem tight.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 16:25
Freakish Hand Strength

Did you grease the slip yoke ? Most people describe what feels like a loose bowling ball type thump/surge when almost stopped, or when beginning to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Old October 26th, 2014, 20:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Did you grease the slip yoke ? Most people describe what feels like a loose bowling ball type thump/surge when almost stopped, or when beginning to move.
No the yoke slid smooth and freely. Didn't see a reason to undo the boot and grease but I guess I should. Can't hurt. The bowling ball kinda seems right. Its more like if you tow a water tank and stop at first you feel it surge back. Its very odd. None of my other xjs ever have had it.