• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring bolt size not 120mm?

mdmbkr

NAXJA Forum User
I got six new M14x2.0x120mm class 10.9 bolts from Fastenal and a new pair of stock shackles (Omix-Ada) to install a new pair of RE 3.5" lift leaf springs. As seen in the picture, there are not enough threads on the bolt. Any suggestions?

Also: is it OK that there's about 1/8" side-to-side play between the body and the shackle?

i-GRpdgPh-L.jpg

PS, pissed at getting nothing done on this 3 day weekend because I have the wrong bolts and every hw place is closed!

Last edited:
Also: is it OK that there's about 1/8" side-to-side play between the body and the shackle?

No.

Washers will get you back on the road until you can get the correct bolts.

Is it normal for the hanger wall to bend down onto the spring-eye/shackle bushing as you tighten the bolt? I'm sure it was bent outward a little when taking the old rusted stuff off.

Yeah it will compress a little when you wrench it down. If I recall without going and looking at mine, I have two thick washers either at the top of the shackle or two washers at the bottom on.the sides of the leaf pack... seems like they may be mass produced a little sloppy :)

Just because the bolts are the same length doesn't mean that the threads will be. Jeep might have used bolts that didnt have the industry standard for thread length like the ones fastenal sells.

It looks like the Fastenal bolts will work fine for the front of the leaf springs, and for the spring-to-shackle connection, but there aren't enough threads for the shackle-to-frame connection.

I'm thinking I'll get two of the $7 factory bolts from the local dealer to get it done.

In theory, it's easier, cheaper, and faster to get them from Fastenal. In practice, it depends on what you need and whether you specify it correctly. In this case I wasted time and money by not getting the OEM parts.

That being said, the new springs are on using OEM bolts at the rear shackle-to-frame, and bolts from Fastenal at the front eye and spring-to-shackle.

In theory, it's easier, cheaper, and faster to get them from Fastenal. In practice, it depends on what you need and whether you specify it correctly. In this case I wasted time and money by not getting the OEM parts.

That being said, the new springs are on using OEM bolts at the rear shackle-to-frame, and bolts from Fastenal at the front eye and spring-to-shackle.

Right, I get that... but why buy NEW bolts? Did you not have OEM ones on the rig to begin with?

Mine came out okay, but I replaced a few anyway. I buy mine at a farm-fleet type store, since they have a better selection of Metric hardware in higher grades, and so far everything has worked perfectly for the Jeep.

The original OEM bolts were on to begin with. Most of them had to be cut. One of them didn't cooperate until the welder came out. Here's one, you decide whether it makes sense to reuse it:

i-hVqj4SX-L.jpg

Back