NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:37
88 Wagonman 88 Wagonman is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 1,035
Spring clamps\worm clamps

I recently ordered new radiator hoses and clamps from an online OE parts source. All the parts were the same as original except for the hose clamp where is attaches to the top radiator inlet. Instead of being a spring clamp it supersceded to a worm drive clamp. Anyone know why? I prefer the spring clamps over the worm clamps because: 1) they expand and contract along with the hose and whatever the hose is attached to. 2) they don't require that you tighten them periodically. 3) they don't destroy the hose like the worm clamps do. If I can't buy the correct clamp from Chrysler anymore, where can I get the old clamp? Maybe too many mechanics complained about the clamp being a PITA to remove and install in that location?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:48
winterbeater's Avatar
winterbeater winterbeater is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Royal Oak, Michigan
Posts: 5,315
Re: Spring clamps\worm clamps

I agree with you 100%. I always thought the worm drive clamps were more heavy duty before I worked in powertrain cooling systems. They don't use them on new vehicles because they always need to be retightened (warranty costs), take more time to install, and cost more due to complex manufacture and design. I am VERY surprised that an OE hose came with the worm clamp. The top radiator inlet is pretty easy to get to at least for retightening. Or you could reuse your old clamp. Stop in at your local auto parts store, but they probably only carry worm drive because "everyone" thinks they are the best. I wonder if Chrysler had any issues with the spring type popping off?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:01
88 Wagonman 88 Wagonman is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 1,035
Re: Spring clamps\worm clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbeater View Post
Or you could reuse your old clamp. Stop in at your local auto parts store, but they probably only carry worm drive because "everyone" thinks they are the best. I wonder if Chrysler had any issues with the spring type popping off?
I've only had this XJ for a few months now and the PO replaced all the clamps with the worm clamps so I can't reuse the old one.

I never thought about them popping off, could be why they changed them I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 16th, 2009, 13:12
5-90's Avatar
5-90 5-90 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hammerspace
Posts: 18,821
Re: Spring clamps\worm clamps

Really? I can't stand the things - I find the worm drive clamps easier to work with.

- Properly tightened, I've never needed to retighten them at intervals.
- Expansion and contraction doesn't seem to be a problem (at least, not in the thirty years or so I've dealt with them.)
- Any spring is going to gradually lose its elasticity. If it's not intended to be springy, that's a non-issue. Heat can accelerate that process (although it's only 200-250*F for the spring clamps, and therefore not much of a problem.)
- If they're put on "wrong" (the ears are in a goofy place,) they're a royal pain to remove again. It's easier to deal with a worm drive clamp that has gone awry. And I've had them "jump" out of the pliers a couple of times and misalign themselves...
- And, the worm drive clamps tend to be CRES, while the spring clamps are coated spring steel (which can - and do - rust.) A worm drive clamp is something I've found easier to deal with in the field using minimal tools.

Might I ask why you find them better? I'm curious...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 16th, 2009, 13:50
dunbad dunbad is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: uk
Posts: 287
Re: Spring clamps\worm clamps

spring clamps for me everytime. Overtightening is my main issue. You put a spring clamp on and you know it will fit like a german virgin, which is shnizen tight! I stopped using screw type when i cracked the plastic neck on my old xj from the overflow hose. Ive seen real old spring types ane id prefer an old spring type to a brand new jubilee clip.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 16th, 2009, 14:46
KaiserMan's Avatar
KaiserMan KaiserMan is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Huntington MA
Posts: 206
Re: Spring clamps\worm clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunbad View Post
I stopped using screw type when i cracked the plastic neck on my old xj from the overflow hose.
So you stopped using them because you cranked one down way to tight?

I've always used worm clamps. Much better and you can reuse them dozens of times.

Don't they recommend replacing spring clamps every time they are removed?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 16th, 2009, 14:58
88 Wagonman 88 Wagonman is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 1,035
Re: Spring clamps\worm clamps

I am not worried about them losing their tension. If you look at a brand new one they are much smaller than what they are meant to fit, so there is a lot of tension there. Why do I prefer them? I have never had one go bad, I have never had one destroy a hose, and with the right tools they are not very difficult to deal with. I have seen many hoses overtightened with the worm clamps and when you remove them and reinstall one they do even more damage. I guess this is going to be one of those topics that spark a lot of debate and everyone is going to have their own opinion. For now, I am going to use the three spring clamps that I ordered and I just got one from the JY to replace the worm clamp.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 16th, 2009, 15:16
nick86's Avatar
nick86 nick86 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: iowa
Posts: 3,429
Re: Spring clamps\worm clamps

Speaking as a paid profressional mechanic, I replace every spring clamp I take off & replace them with a worm clamp, at no charge to the customer. And if you have NEVER had a spring clamp NOT reseal a hose, than you haven't turned enough wrenches yet.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 16th, 2009, 15:53
winterbeater's Avatar
winterbeater winterbeater is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Royal Oak, Michigan
Posts: 5,315
Re: Spring clamps\worm clamps

I know that EVERYONE thinks worm clamps are the best. You can't hardly get spring clamps at an auto parts store. Almost every time I've used them, I have to retighten them after the hose ages a little. When I was working in OEM powertrain cooling, I researched it some and the spring clamps were more reliable (without later adjustment after initial seating). Don't get me wrong. On my water well, or air compressor fittings, I use two worm clamps, rotated so that the weak spots are 180 degrees offset and tighten them just short of being stripped. But for coolant hoses that heat up and cool down, the spring clamps provide a flexibility that the worm clamps don't. The plastics in the radiator tank expand and contract considerably. If the clamp doesn't, what are you left with? A loose clamp after it cools. The spring clamp moves with the product and maintains a more constant tension. And sorry to contradict you bob, but you must have turned enough wrenches to see worm clamps leak until they are retightened (at least sometimes).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 16th, 2009, 18:53
stewie's Avatar
stewie stewie is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: the Union of Socialist States, Amerika
Posts: 4,284
Re: Spring clamps\worm clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbeater View Post
I know that EVERYONE thinks worm clamps are the best. You can't hardly get spring clamps at an auto parts store. Almost every time I've used them, I have to retighten them after the hose ages a little. When I was working in OEM powertrain cooling, I researched it some and the spring clamps were more reliable (without later adjustment after initial seating). Don't get me wrong. On my water well, or air compressor fittings, I use two worm clamps, rotated so that the weak spots are 180 degrees offset and tighten them just short of being stripped. But for coolant hoses that heat up and cool down, the spring clamps provide a flexibility that the worm clamps don't. The plastics in the radiator tank expand and contract considerably. If the clamp doesn't, what are you left with? A loose clamp after it cools. The spring clamp moves with the product and maintains a more constant tension. And sorry to contradict you bob, but you must have turned enough wrenches to see worm clamps leak until they are retightened (at least sometimes).
winter, the more you talk the more we understand that you know very little. many of your posts contain nothing but bs info. how about you think about whether or not the info you have is correct or not before you jack your jaw or let your fingers dance on the keyboard.

and where did you "work in OEM powertrain cooling?" evidently it wasnt very long. if you had, you would have come to realize that the spring style hose clamps do work themselves loose surprisingly easy. i have even seen one that was still on there from the factory on an original hose and it was so loose that it could be rotated around the hose by hand with minimal resistance. i have yet to see a properly secured worm drive style hose clamp do that. sure they can be installed to loose, but so can just about anything else- operator error. so following your ideology there, then we should replace all the bolts and nuts in our rig with grooved studs and those annoying lock-washer clips right? cause they dont come loose do they?

oh, and if someone is worried about cutting their hose with a hose clamp, then they should invest in a good torque wrench. plumbers use a nice "T" handled torque wrench when working with no hub cast iron pipe. the pipe and fittings are joined together via a no hub band (a rubber gasket that covers both ends of the joint down on to the pipe and fitting and is compressed via multiple stainless steel worm drive hose clamps on top of a thin piece of corrugated stainless sheet). a plumbers torque wrench is used to make sure that there is proper torque on the bands. too little and the pipe joint will leak. too much and it distorts the rubber gasket and causes leaks. same concept can be applied to rubber hoses and hose clamps. someone could also use a fuel line hose clamp on their rig as the edges of the band are designed not to cause damage to the hose. im not sure in what sizes they are available for.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 16th, 2009, 18:59
5-90's Avatar
5-90 5-90 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hammerspace
Posts: 18,821
Re: Spring clamps\worm clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
someone could also use a fuel line hose clamp on their rig as the edges of the band are designed not to cause damage to the hose. im not sure in what sizes they are available for.
I know what you're talking about, stewie. Fuel line clamps (for fuel line) are usually available up to about 1-1/4", but you can find much larger sizes at fluid power outlets (I've seen them up to 4" ID there, and rated for something like 300psig.)

Benefits of a chequered past, no?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 16th, 2009, 21:40
88 Wagonman 88 Wagonman is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 1,035
Re: Spring clamps\worm clamps

5-90 and Stewie, I can see which type of clamp you like better, but any opinion on why they would change 1 out of 4 clamps to a worm drive?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 16th, 2009, 22:31
5-90's Avatar
5-90 5-90 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hammerspace
Posts: 18,821
Re: Spring clamps\worm clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Wagonman View Post
5-90 and Stewie, I can see which type of clamp you like better, but any opinion on why they would change 1 out of 4 clamps to a worm drive?
That's an easy one - the one spring clamp that got replaced is the one that got away. Anything spring-loaded has the chance to go froggy on you - ask anyone who's worked on Rochester carburettor linkages (I still have a boxful of them from when I'd pocket a few on boneyard crawls. They were known as "Dammits!" around the shop...)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 16th, 2009, 22:45
88 Wagonman 88 Wagonman is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 1,035
Re: Spring clamps\worm clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
That's an easy one - the one spring clamp that got replaced is the one that got away. Anything spring-loaded has the chance to go froggy on you - ask anyone who's worked on Rochester carburettor linkages (I still have a boxful of them from when I'd pocket a few on boneyard crawls. They were known as "Dammits!" around the shop...)
No, what I mean is, I just ordered all 4 clamps from Chrysler and 3 of them were the original spring type and one of them was supersceded to a worm type. Why would they do one and not all four?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old May 16th, 2009, 22:53
5-90's Avatar
5-90 5-90 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hammerspace
Posts: 18,821
Re: Spring clamps\worm clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Wagonman View Post
No, what I mean is, I just ordered all 4 clamps from Chrysler and 3 of them were the original spring type and one of them was supersceded to a worm type. Why would they do one and not all four?
Let me answer your question with a question - did you get instructions on where to put the odd clamp, or no?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaf Spring Clamps Mdub Modified Tech Discussion 11 April 10th, 2009 20:08
Leaf spring clamps? NW-ZJ-SCOTT OEM Tech Discussion 8 April 1st, 2009 17:07
Spring clamps Blaine B. Modified Tech Discussion 3 November 25th, 2007 16:32
leaf spring clamps jelrod Modified Tech Discussion 3 November 13th, 2005 05:04
Leaf Spring Clamps fire325 Modified Tech Discussion 3 July 20th, 2003 00:41


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014