NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 15th, 2013, 21:07
NAXJA Forum User

WJ or Late TJ Steering Wheel on XJ

Today I installed a steering wheel from a 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland on my 2000 XJ. The steering wheel bolts up perfectly, the spline count is the same. You have to use an airbag from a 1999-2001 WJ for this to work in an XJ because those are the only years that have a single airbag connector like the 1997-2001 XJs. I measured the resistance values of the two bags before I tried this and they are the same. I have no airbag light, and am very happy with how it looks.

The wheel style that I have pictured can be found on 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees and 2003-2006 Wranglers. The woodgrain comes from it being an Overland model.

I have also heard that the later 1996-1998 ZJ wheels will work but have not yet had a chance to verify personally. I believe that basically any Chrysler steering wheel (ie: Dodge Ram, newer Grand Cherokees, Commanders, etc.) would fit our 1997-2001 columns but I don't believe any of those airbags would work because they have dual connectors. In my opinion the 2004 and newer Ram steering wheels are some of the best looking.

Will update with any additional info or problems down the road.

-Collin

Last edited by BIGSLVRXJ; September 15th, 2013 at 21:15.
Old September 15th, 2013, 21:31
NAXJA Forum User

Interesting. What did you do about the cruise control?
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:53
Three-De Off-Road

Re: WJ or Late TJ Steering Wheel on XJ

Will the original airbag from the 1999-2001 XJ work inside that steering wheel, or do you need to cannibalize another WJ to get one, assuming your steering wheel comes off of a post 01 WJ?
Dirk DeYoung--Member #176
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2006 XK (TOW RIG)
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsondragon View Post
Good question as there are two different switch sets for the XJ. The PCM uses the resistance of the switch to determine the switch function as the wiring is "multiplexed" in nature. Would have to measure the ZJ/WJ switches to check for compatibility...
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsondragon View Post
The Jeep that you see it in did not have cruise control, although I do plan to add it down the road. TJs used the same column and steering wheel as XJs through 2000. Then they kept the same steering wheel with the newer style column from 2001-2002, when they switched to the WJ style wheel in 2003. I can't imagine they changed the resistance value, but it's Chrysler, anything is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
Will the original airbag from the 1999-2001 XJ work inside that steering wheel, or do you need to cannibalize another WJ to get one, assuming your steering wheel comes off of a post 01 WJ?
They are a much different shape, you have to use an early WJ (2001 or older) with these wheels. Same would be true if you got a TJ wheel, the early WJ bags are the only ones with the correct airbag connection.

Last edited by BIGSLVRXJ; September 16th, 2013 at 09:52.
Old September 17th, 2013, 08:04
Three-De Off-Road

Any implications if you install a WJ steering wheel, but don't install the airbag?
Old September 17th, 2013, 22:20
NAXJA Forum User

I'll be danged--you put that steering wheel on the wrong side of the car!
Old September 18th, 2013, 17:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
Any implications if you install a WJ steering wheel, but don't install the airbag?
Other than it looking ugly I suppose not The horn wouldn't work I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_peters View Post
I see what you did there
Old September 18th, 2013, 19:36
NAXJA Member

Hmmm. Interesting. I would love to have a wheel with the audio control on it for my XJ..
Old September 18th, 2013, 19:37
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_peters View Post
He had to... Someone stole the other seat!!
Old September 18th, 2013, 22:02
NAXJA Forum User

Just to put it out there: DO NOT ohm out an airbag. Sure you can get away with it - OR you can set the damn thing off in your face. When measuring resistance you are applying a current - which can, in some cases, activate or even damage the item you are putting the leads on.
You ever seen an airbag go off? It would do a lot of damage if, face down (metal side up) it inflated with your face above it.

Ok, I'm off my soap box now.
Wheel looks nice! Just went on my upgrades list.
Old September 18th, 2013, 22:33
NAXJA Forum User

^^^^ what he said

My experiments with airbags.
http://youtu.be/Im1e9Unz6DA

How much thicker is that WJ wheel than an XJ? I've always hated the skinny wheel in my jeep.
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:35
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyxj View Post
Hmmm. Interesting. I would love to have a wheel with the audio control on it for my XJ..
That's going to take quite a bit more work I believe. I don't think any of the factory 97-01 style stereos had the provisions for it, from what I've read those came in with the round Chrysler stereos. I'm guessing you could use the WJ clockspring to get the spare wires going up to the wheel though and possibly use an interface with an aftermarket deck. I'm not too much of an audio guru but that's what I've read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
Just to put it out there: DO NOT ohm out an airbag. Sure you can get away with it - OR you can set the damn thing off in your face. When measuring resistance you are applying a current - which can, in some cases, activate or even damage the item you are putting the leads on.
You ever seen an airbag go off? It would do a lot of damage if, face down (metal side up) it inflated with your face above it.

Ok, I'm off my soap box now.
Wheel looks nice! Just went on my upgrades list.
Wow, I ohmed both of them, that's really scary, I didn't know how else to check it. I've set airbags off intentionally before from many many feet away but I've actually never had one go off very close to me. I appreciate the forewarning, I will take extreme caution if I ever do it again. So is there a SAFE way to check compatibility between two airbags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoab View Post
^^^^ what he said

My experiments with airbags.
http://youtu.be/Im1e9Unz6DA

How much thicker is that WJ wheel than an XJ? I've always hated the skinny wheel in my jeep.
Haha, looks about like what I did with a couple Caprice airbags.

The WJ wheel is a bit thicker, I haven't measured circumference but its definitely a more comfortable grip. I have the standard rubber WJ wheel in my 97 XJ (I didn't hook up the airbag or cruise in it) and I would say it's somewhere in between the XJ and Overland WJ wheel. The woodgrain wheel seems to be the thickest to me. I'll take a measurement if I can find a way to measure it.

Last edited by BIGSLVRXJ; September 20th, 2013 at 05:43.
Old September 20th, 2013, 17:32
Three-De Off-Road

I have leather wrapped in both my XJ and ZJ and rubber gripped in my WJ and the WJ wheel feels minutely smaller.

There were ZJs that came with stereos with steering wheel controls. That I know for certain. XJs? Don't know, but reckon the ZJ radios would fit in the late model XJs.
Old September 20th, 2013, 18:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Gauge Steamer View Post
Good question as there are two different switch sets for the XJ. The PCM uses the resistance of the switch to determine the switch function as the wiring is "multiplexed" in nature. Would have to measure the ZJ/WJ switches to check for compatibility...
There are actually three sets. AB for 1997, AC for 1998, and AD for 1999 to 2001. I almost considered swapping to a 1998 PCM because how hard the 1997 AB switches are to find in working condition.

1999-2001 XJ and 2003-2006 TJ use the same internal wiring schematic in their respective factory service manuals. The resistances are not listed so they would need to be tested, but it is worth a try. I know it definitely would not work on a 1997 XJ due to them having an extra resistor.

I did consider trying this steering wheel swap until I found a leather XJ steering wheel in great condition.