• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 jeep Cherokee ac, what is this valve in the suction tube

AndyEBR

NAXJA Forum User
I'm reassembling my ac system after having some hoses rebuilt and putting in a 134a compatible compressor.

What is this valve in the suction tube? The hose is the low pressure side of the evaporator going into the top of the receiver/dryer. It's the coupler that makes the connection possible, but shy does it have a valve in it? Can I just remove the valve portion?
766838b32b6d5da8605a590a79a631f2.jpg
037e2c799d98ed91c2b3698faad1b2ff.jpg
30309539232d670d1e20fce6255e1276.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

It looks like a check valve. Ironically, I also have an '87 that I have to have all new hoses made. I do not recall that being part of the original hose. The expansion valve is the only metering device that is necessary that I am aware of. Most systems' liquid and vapor sides of the compressor equalize after the system is off, so I can't think of any reason.

It does, and I agree, typically they equal out when it's not running so I don't know what the point is... I was thinking I would just remove it but It is also the way the union joint seals... For some reason they didn't just use an o ring on the connection. Maybe it's an over pressure release valve too...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Back