• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford taurus electric fan upgrade

I just got a Taurus fan, which I might try. I searched and there is quite a bit of info available.

A '94-'04 Ford Mustang two-speed electric fan would also work and is equally as good as the Taurus fan.

I believe it is the same fan. Ford has a habit of cross platform part sharing...

I run one. I have it wired so that it runs on low speed with the ignition on and shifts to high when the controller calls for fan. I also have my Factory aux Fan wired in parallel to the Ford so that it comes on by command of the controller whilst preserving the ability of the PCM to call for Aux Fan during AC operation.

I am using my water pump controller for the Ford fan as I run an electric water pump as well. I do recommend some sort of Fan Controller be used. The good ones are PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) and have to ability to run the fan at any speed not just low/high.

Best part is that the Ford fan will set inside of the Jeep Mechanical fan shroud which makes mounting it easy. I did my entire installation in a morning.

There are a couple of very good threads here that detail the how to aspects.

I believe it is the same fan. Ford has a habit of cross platform part sharing...

Doesn't look like it. 94-96 Mustang has a fan with a shroud with a kick out on the right side.
getimage.php

90-95 Taurus fan:
getimage.php

97+ just had brackets attached to the side:
getimage.php

The 97+ fans also lists a different part number for the V8 and V6 fans. There is also a different number listed for 99-04 vs. 97-98

Which one are you using o-gauge?

I have a Taurus fan and intend to attempt to follow go-jeep's writeup. His allows for a separate tranny cooler mounted below the radiator.

There are two fans in question here. The one most folk use that fits inside of the Jeep factory shroud and the big fan. I believe Marcus used the bigger of the two and overlaps the front sill by a large margin.

As for thinking the fan was the same on Mustangs, I was thinking that the fan itself was an 8C601 part number. The shroud it is in really does not matter. I trimmed the Ford shroud down a bit to get it inside of the Jeep shroud.

That is very cool. I like my controller, but I don't think it will run a Ford/Volvo fan (max 35A load on the controller, IIRC). I wonder if you can buy the Volvo pigtails to plug into the relay in the aftermarket.

I have one.

jeep023.jpg

My installation was not typical or easy at all though.

As you can see I relocated my Radiator forward about 2 inches. I relocated my Transmission cooler To below the radiator and it fills the void in the Taurus fan shroud perfectly. This photo was a few years ago when I first made the mod, I've since cleaned up the wiring.

I have one.

jeep023.jpg

My installation was not typical or easy at all though.

As you can see I relocated my Radiator forward about 2 inches. I relocated my Transmission cooler To below the radiator and it fills the void in the Taurus fan shroud perfectly. This photo was a few years ago when I first made the mod, I've since cleaned up the wiring.

I have entertained the idea of moving mine forward about 1 inch but did not put much thought into it. Do you have more info on what you did to the top radiator support? A few pics would be useful also. Do you still have the AC condensor? If so, what did you do with the lines?

Best part is that the Ford fan will set inside of the Jeep Mechanical fan shroud which makes mounting it easy. I did my entire installation in a morning.
QUOTE]
Do you have any pics of that? I want to install my Taurus fan while I install my stroker,I do agrre with trimming it would fit but was waiting on someone here to figure it out!...THANKS!

I run one. I have it wired so that it runs on low speed with the ignition on and shifts to high when the controller calls for fan. I also have my Factory aux Fan wired in parallel to the Ford so that it comes on by command of the controller whilst preserving the ability of the PCM to call for Aux Fan during AC operation.

I am using my water pump controller for the Ford fan as I run an electric water pump as well. I do recommend some sort of Fan Controller be used. The good ones are PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) and have to ability to run the fan at any speed not just low/high.

There are a couple of very good threads here that detail the how to aspects.
Slightly OT, but what pump are you running and how much was it? I thought about this.

Has anyone added an electric fan w/o serious mods like moving the rad or hacking off the clutch fan pulley?

Yes, I did. I cut the clutch fan pulley studs flush with the pulley to gain more clearance from the fan but I had almost an inch of clearance even before I cut them.

I removed the fan clutch studs from the idler and used button head fasteners to gain the small bit of extra clearance over a hex head bolt. If I remember right, it is a 5/16 coarse thread bolt. Could be wrong...

The radiator is still bolted in the stock location and the Ford fan sits inside of the Heep's mechanical fan shroud. Easy-peasy to do. At first glance, it all looks to be stock. Until you look real close. Only "serious" mechanical mod I made was to the fan shroud and that was to gain some room for my fat fingers to work. That was done when I first went to the ZJ clutch, prior to going electric. Trimmed an inch or so off of the back edge of the shroud.

And, with the exception of accomodating the SC, the belt routing is identical to stock.

Johnnie, I run a Davies-Craig EWP115 setup in my Heep. The controller is in the cab. The controller calls for fan when the Heep gets 3C above setpoint. I have a 90C (194F) setpoint. The Heep operates between 191F and 201F in the Summer and at 194F in the winter. So, it is slightly cold in the snow. Not enough to cause issues.

Back