• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont start/fire/turn over

TMNT

NAXJA Forum User
So my xj has been sitting for a while. It wont start now. The battery is fine. When I turn the key nothing happens. the volts look fine. how would I go about checking the starter? Anything else I should look at? thanks

We don't know what year, engine, trans you have (kind of important). Difficult for anyone to help you if you don't provide that info. If it's an automatic, the first thing I would do is put the shifter in neutral and see if it will start. If yes, then do a search on cleaning the neutral safety switch (NSS). If that doesn't work, I'd reach under the passenger side with a hammer and hit the solenoid and see if you can persuade it. Go back in and turn the key. If it starts then, I'd be installing a new starter. Try that and then get back to us. Good luck.

-river

sorry about that I could have sworn I had my jeep listed in my sig. Its a 1990 4.0 aw4. I tried the starting in nuetral and that didnt work. I tapped the starter solenoid and sparks shot out but it still wouldnt start. I noticed that when I turn to start it a very slight thumping/tapping happens then it stops. Could it still be a bad starter? thanks for the help.

-Dillon

sounds like a bad solenoid on the starter.

Back