NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 12th, 2018, 17:34
NAXJA Forum User

How to correct miles on replacement cluster:

I had a cluster fail - looks like the motor driver for the right half of the board died. So I made a video of how to replace the cluster and correct the mileage on the new unit.

This procedure would also apply if you were to upgrade from an idiot light cluster to a full cluster.

Hope this helps someone else:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_ISqo9c59g
Old February 12th, 2018, 21:13
NAXJA Member

Re: How to correct miles on replacement cluster:

That is awesome. Thanks.

I will have to watch that again, more carefully, to make sure I follow everything, but I am super excited. I just bought a 98 with the idiot cluster. Can't stand not having temp, oil pressure and tach. There is a parts 1998 in town and I will work on getting the cluster if it is the full cluster. Thanks.

Thanks.

Did I say thanks?
Old February 12th, 2018, 21:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH-Bham View Post
That is awesome. Thanks.

I will have to watch that again, more carefully, to make sure I follow everything, but I am super excited. I just bought a 98 with the idiot cluster. Can't stand not having temp, oil pressure and tach. There is a parts 1998 in town and I will work on getting the cluster if it is the full cluster. Thanks.

Thanks.

Did I say thanks?
Ha not problem.

FYI full clusters are very common and easy to find, should be easy enough to buy one and get it shipped to you as well.

In your case if you felt comfortable soldering you could remove the eeprom from your old cluster and solder it into your new cluster.

I'd appreciate a subscription on youtube if you found it useful, youtube change the rules recently so it hurts smaller producers like me who don't have episodic channels and get more viewership from "how to" videos.
Old February 13th, 2018, 21:51
NAXJA Member

I watched the video again. Carefully this time. I am even more impressed. Creating a well-edited, well-filmed technical video is no small task and that one was excellent.

Almost all my questions were answered. I'm going to think a bit whether to buy a programer and the other assorted gear or whether I'll just desolder the eeprom. I'm fairly decent desoldering and soldering electronics.

I think I can handle all of it only one mystery remains -- how to disassemble the dash. Not smart enough to figure that out yet -- though I haven't tried. Have FSM coming and can probably find it there.

By the way, my local junk yard would not sell me a cluster last week as the guy insisted that it would not work to upgrade my idiot lights and that I'd just bring it back. I may call them back and promise I won't return it (assuming their price is decent).
Old February 15th, 2018, 07:41
NAXJA Forum User

I have a full XJ cluster if you are interested...pm me
Old May 11th, 2018, 11:39
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zluster View Post
H
In your case if you felt comfortable soldering you could remove the eeprom from your old cluster and solder it into your new cluster.
Ok, about to embark on this project. I have a replacement full cluster. I am considering switching the eeprom. However, to desolder and solder I'd rather work from the other side of the board.

If I remove the clear plastic, can I pull the indicator-pointers from the shafts and pull the trip reset button, and then separate the gauge display from the PCB? I'm guessing it will all come apart, but do you know?
Old May 12th, 2018, 12:09
Coffee Drinker

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1098819

Looks like you're doing the same method as Alexia from years past?

Also you're incorrect in your assessment that the 97-01 clusters are the same, the pin-out changed over the years.

You also have some corruption in the mileage section of the EEPROM in your video.
99 4.0/AW4/231 8.25/D30 ARB's 4.56's 33's deavers and a few other things.

Click here to join the red team