• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 belt tensioner on 93 XJ

czb83

NAXJA Forum User
I broke the belt tensioner on my 93 so I figured I could just fix it, or I could upgrade it. I chose the latter by getting complete 99 XJ intake, fuel rail, injectors, PS pump and bracket($60 at Junkyard).

I got everything on, but I've run into a problem with belt routing. I got the belt from the 99XJ, and went to follow belt routing of 99. It seems I need to remove the idler pully form AC bracket, though maybe I could just leave it there. Also, there is some metal round thing sticking out from what I think is the timing chain cover. If I tighten the belt, then it hits the metal thing. I couldn't find a post with someone having this issue before.

There are two solutions I can think of.
1. Shorter belt may help, but I'm not sure.
2. Grid off that metal piece, but I'm not even sure what its for, and what are the consequences of removing it.

Ideas?

When I did the same swap if im remembering correctly, I had to reverse the pully tensioner so that it forced the pully down and to the right instead of up and to the left (I cant remember if my problem was what you were describing though). If you go this route to solve your issue you will needed to change the tensioner pully to a grooved pully instead of smooth pully because this will change the side of the belt the tensioner will ride on. This allowed me to use the normal belt routing on my 92 but it also lengthened the belt by a few inches. I hope that helped some.

I gound off part off the timing chain cover, but it will still to close to belt. I then put back the AC idler pulley, which took up a little slack and I could tighten belt without it touching, but it is still pretty close. This is using the belt from a 99. I might try and find a smaller belt, so that I can take out AC idler pulley since it is just unnecessary resistance.

Back