• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I lost a friend today

burnsie

NAXJA Forum User
Today we had to put to sleep Samson our 3 year old Rot/Black lab mix. About 4 or 5 weeks ago he developed lymphoma and the vet told us that it is very aggressive in dogs and that it would take about a month and he would start to decline. Apparently this type of cancer is very common in large breed dogs and Sam was about 115 lbs of solid muscle. I have had to have other pets put to sleep over the years but this one really hurts... Sam was just 6 weeks old when we got him and one of seventeen in his litter. He always looked after my wife and god forbid that anyone ever try to hurt her he would have torn them to shreads!! My kids loved him and he loved them and was very good with them, always ready to play and never minded one bit if they laid on him or flipped his ears inside out:) . I know they say dogs are mans best friend and Sam was every bit of that. He loved to play ball or chase a stick. Sam was so strong that he could jump over 5 feet in the air and catch a ball on the fly! It was always a comfort to me when I had to be away from home knowing that he was there and would never let anyone or thing harm my family.

Yesterday Suzie noticed that he seemed a little off, not quite as active as he always is and last night about 3:30 am Kip our other dog heard something outside and started barking, normally Sam would have been right there with him but he didn't even move out of his bed. In the back of my mind I didn't want to believe that he was going down hill even though I knew he was, I just told myself and Suzie that he was just really tired and needed a little extra sleep. This morning his breathing was labored and he seemed confused or dazied, he yelped several times because lymph nodes in his neck were enlarged and hurting from the cancer. I looked into his eyes and the spark that was always there was gone and I could see that he was hurting and scared we couldn't bare to see him suffer and although it hurts like hell we took him to the vet and had him put down.

Probably the hardest part of the human experience is letting go of the things we love. It becomes even harder when it is a loved one that is involved in almost every aspect of our life and has always been there to give us love no matter how bad our day is or how many ups and downs we have they just continue to love us. I'm sorry for rambling on so much I guess I just wanted to say thank and I will miss you to a great friend and have as much of the world as I have access to to see it and know how special he was and that I am thankful to have had him in my life:angel: .

Thank you Sam I will miss you:angel: you have been a true best friend!!

Thanks for letting me ramble, I'm a little out of it today.

I feel it man....got a Great Dane (6yrs). Wife had him since a pup....2 Beagles (3 & 13) and a Pitbull (2.5) and i would be lost without them and am dreading the day comes i have to do the same...agian I am sorry

I know all too well what you are going through. Now go do what I do when I lose one of my dog friends. Go buy a puppy.

RR3

I don't mind at all saying that my eyes are misty. Time will heal, but you will have to endure this, and for that I am sorry. Remember him well and often, and know that he is free from pain.

Thank you all for your kind words and support.. Sue and I really miss the big guy. The house feels different without him in it. I know we will feel better as time goes on and that is somewhat comforting. Please give your dogs/cats/etc. a couple extra pets or maybe play a little longer with them just cause you can.

Thanks again.

Tim & Sue

Sitting here I count back all my best friends I have had. Chevy, the greatest dog ever. Angel, my dalbador who hadto be put down at about your dogs age.....Tigre, my great dane who loved my wife as much as I do....ahhhh crap. I don't think I will ever get over loosing any of them....I think I will go hug my dogs I do have now!!!!
My brothers Rot (also a friend of mine) died of the same cause...
So sorry.....

I feel your pain Burnsie. I don't even know you outside of this web world, but we both share a very similar experience and you sound like it affected you like it did me.

My dog Boomer was a very devoted, tennis ball addicted, affectionate 45 lb Shepard/Lab mix. I got her as a puppy from a local humane society during my freshman year of highschool. She contracted cancer the year I got married. It was a slow moving cancer that left numerous small tumors throughout her body. The vet told me early on that she would not survive it and suggested a simple steroid treatment to give her the best quality of life possible. She lasted 3 great years.

I'm a cop and had volunteered to go help during the Columbine tragedy that day in April '99. I didn't get the opportunity to see Boomer before I left, but when I returned 12 hours later, she was noteably a different dog. She wouldn't fetch her ball - something she would do for hours on end. Her head hung low and she wouldn't respond to my call.

I took her to the vet and she said that the X-rays showed that her body was simply overcome with tumors. Having already had a very emotional day - dealing with the families of kids that didn't come out of the school - I had to put my buddy down. She was 15 years old.

Now, I have another buddy. Not a replacement, just another friend. Max is 110 lbs of loyal, clumsy, porch dog German Shepard. That's the great thing about dogs - they're so willing to be your friend, no matter how busy your day is, regardless if you forget to feed them on time, whatever.

God's speed Sam....

Troy

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I hope this helps, it did for me last fall when i lost a 13yo Aussie and a 12yo Westie in about 2mo.

My eyes are misty as well. My thoughts turn to my beloved shepard/lab mix Clover. Clover was horribly abused by her previous owner, if fact he almost beat her to death. I was fortunate enough to find her in a shelter. After a little initial mistrust, we became fast friends and constant companions. If I were not on my way to and from work, she was with me. She was black/brindle and an excellent frisbee dog. Protective of my ex-wife even when she wasn't so nice back. When her cancer returned with a vengeance at the ripe old age of 15, I knew it was time to say good-bye. While one of the hardest things I have ever done, I loved her enough to not want to see her suffer. I stayed with her until she passed and wept like I have done before or since. But I am blessed to have had her friendship and loyalty. With but a little kindness, they love us unconditionally. They are happy to see us when the workday is over. Even if we're out of sorts, they are there with tail wagging. I will always miss Clover. So, you have my most heartfelt condolences on the passing of Sam.

You guys are making me all misty... It is nice to know that I am not the only one who has felt a profound sense of loss from their pet being gone. Sam was a good boy and always had tons of love to give and only asked for love in return. Sue and I both feel we did the right thing not wanting him to suffer but that does not make us miss him any less. It does however give us the comfort of knowing he is not in pain. The story of the rainbow bridge is one I would like to believe. I pray that Sam is there playing and happy, I wish I knew how post a photo properly I would put one up so everyone could see him. Thank you all for sharing stories about your pets and the place they have held in your hearts. The support means a lot.

Tim

Man, im really sorry about that dude, i know EXACTLY how hard it can be... You just gotta remember the times that you had, and how great he was, and realize he's better now, no pain.....

But seriously, I dont think i can express how much I feel for you, i could tell from your story he was definitely a major role in your life, it was so apparent i got all weird feeling inside just reading it.. once again, am sorry dude...

Thank you Kejtar for helping me with this. I hope I did it right.

Sam.jpg

I just went through the same pain a few months ago. I got alot of comfort and compasion from alot of the same folks you are here. They are great. My black lab Josie was one of the regulars and my 4 wheeling best friend. Alot of folks here knew her. She developed the same cancer and also lasted about a month after discovery of the tumors.
The poem that was given by 2offroad? really helped alot. I took that poem and made a special copy, a latest picture of Josie wearing one of regular 4 wheeling hats from last years Fall Fling (thanks Danno) and framed it. I have it hanging for my memory.
I understand your pain all to much. I had never had a dog that affected me as much as Josie.
You will have some good laughs and a few crys but you will always have the memories. Hang on to them.
I waited to get a new dog and I have been blessed by this great organization again by the fact that Keith and Shelly Orr, better known as Casper, are letting me have one of the pups from their labs litter. I am hoping to get over to pick her up soon but may have to wait until Moab where they will bring her for us.
Take care and make something special out of this expierience.
I'll be thinking of your loss.
Mil (GRNT) Thornton

I sure as heck worry about the day I make it to this Rainbow Bridge place!! Already I have lost four of my best friends...and if all four of them came running at me at once....the carnage!! :D

:( I am sorry about your loss of your best friend. Max, my older poodle has a few new lumps this year and I know the day he leaves will be awful.

Mil, glad to hear you will have a new arrival. Josie was a cool dog and I will miss her at your RV parties.

SeanP

I just wanted to say thanks to all for the kind words and thoughts! You have all helped make the sting of this a little less.

My wife Suzie and I were talking last night and she wanted me to ask everyone that can, to post a picture of their pets past or present. I know we would both enjoy that:) .

Thank you again to all in our NAXJA family. Your support means so much. :)

Tim & Suzie

Back