• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

common tools for the trail??

gixer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey
Is there a list some where of the most common tools needed to take on the trail.
Mostly wrenches and sockets is what I am looking for.
I had a list some where but my computer crashed and I lost it.
Thanks
Steven

I ran across a guy with a comprehensive list of tools and equipment under the "Share pictures your rear cargo area" thread. Navigate to page 6 and you'll see photos and detailed lists. Must have been $5k worth of parts and tools. Give it a look.

Last edited:
Lessee.... Mostly metric fasteners, with the occasional SAE thrown in to just irritate the owners.

36mm socket for the front axle nut.
12pt 13mm socket for the front hub bolts.

A Big Hammer to get the hub out after pulling those bolts. I'd suggest the power steering method but I wouldn't want to try using that while supporting the jeep with a hi-lift on the trail.

I came up with a fairly (I think) complete list once upon a time, not sure where I posted it. It's basically just my whole tool collection tossed in a carrying case along with enough spare parts to rebuild most of the drivetrain and suspension.

36MM socket for the front hub nut
12pt 13mm socket for the hub bolts
Spare hub bolts to beat the hub out.

7mm allen socket for the caliper slide pins if you have AMC era brakes

15MM deep well, you need this to change an alternator in the campground.

other than that, just your average assortment of wrenches and common sockets. Most everything is 12,13,14 MM or the SAE 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 equivalent. U bolt straps are 5/16
Torx sockets for the random Torx screws under the hood/doors.

spare fluids
spare filters

fluid spill cleanup kit.

I used to carry probably 200 lbs of tools, now I pretty much carry just the basic wrench set and 3/8 socket set, with the exception of special tools I know I'll need to change axle shafts or some such.

oh yeah, get a sheet (9x12 or so is fine) of 6mil painters plastic at home depot. It makes lying in a streambed fixing something under your jeep a hell of a lot less displeasing.

Thanks
I tend to carry to much and would like to narrow it down some. Of course then there is the time you need it and dont have it so I am trying to get together with the guys I wheel with and work together so we dont have so many of the same things.

I like cardboard, also a good pair of medium sized channel locks and needle nose, also some of that magical fix it tape for hoses is a good idea. Big pry bars for tire seating.

Thanks
I tend to carry to much and would like to narrow it down some. Of course then there is the time you need it and dont have it so I am trying to get together with the guys I wheel with and work together so we dont have so many of the same things.

Me too, I carry at least 140lbs of tools and 150lbs of spare parts. I'm in the process of narrowing it down some right now to reduce weight on the Jeep.

a good (complete) set of sockets, metric and standard, 6pt and 12pt, shallow and deep, 3/8" drive [a typical 100+ piece set will have all of these and more]
36mm hub socket w/ 1/2" breaker bar
screwdrivers (phillips and straight)
allen wrench set
hammer
PB blaster
duct tape
knife
spare fluids (oil, coolant, tranny)
adjustable crescent wrench
pliers (standard, needle nose, channel lock)
vise grips
bungie cords / rope / baling twine
portable air compressor / tire inflater
air pressure gauge
jumper cables
work gloves (eg. mechanix)
flashlight
spare fuses
a roll of electrical wire
electrical tape
tow strap

costco has a cresent tool kit with folding case for $100 that is pretty complete, 1/4 3/8 1/2 drive, deep sockets, wrench set, everything is in metric and standard etc., just need to throw a bfh and a couple odds and ends under the seat and you're good to go. the case fits perfectly behind the passenger seat on the floor too. the kit is probably 40ish pounds total

Here is a list of what I carry;
BFH
C-clamp
1/2" Drive Socket Wrench
1/2" Drive 15-22mm, 24mm, 32mm, 36mm Sockets
1/2" Drive 3/8"-1" , 1 1/8”, 1 1/4” Sockets
1/4" Extensions
¼” drive socket wrench
1/4" Drive 7-10mm Deep Sockets
1/4" Drive 1/4"-5/16" Deep Sockets
7-23mm Combination Wrenches
1/4"-1" Combination Wrenches
Hack Saw w/extra blades
Large torx 40, 45, 50 Sockets
Spark Plug Socket w/swivel
Pliers
Channel locks
Medium size pipe wrench
Needle Nose Pliers
Vise Grips(small, large and needle nose)
EMT Sheers
Side cutters/dykes
Adjustable Wrench
1/2" Drive Breaker Bar
1/2" Drive Extensions
1/2" Drive to 3/8" Socket Adapter
½” drive swivel
3/8" Drive 10-14mm Deep Sockets
3/8" Drive 3/8"-5/8" Deep Sockets
3/8" Drive Socket Wrench
3/8" Drive 12 point 8-19mm Sockets
3/8" Drive 3/8"-3/4" Sockets
3/8" Drive Extensions assorted(you will need enough to put together to reach the CPS)
3/8" Drive to 1/4" Socket Adapter
3/8" Drive to 1/2" Socket Adapter
3/8” drive swivel
1/4" Drive to 3/8" Socket Adapter
Tubing cutter and flare tool and flare fittings
10mm-19mm swivel sockets
6 pt 8 mm box wrench, 12 pt 8 mm socket
Small prybar
Punches, chisels and alignment pins
Channel locks, large/small
Feeler gauge
DVohm meter
Test light
Wire crimpers and assorted connectors/extra wire
OBD2 scan tool
Metric Allen Keys
SAE Allen Keys
1/4” drive swivel
Flathead Screwdrivers
Phillips Screwdrivers
Torx Screwdrivers

Hey
Is there a list some where of the most common tools needed to take on the trail.

Really??

Take ALL your Jeep tools or take none, you'll ALWAYS be missing a crucial T-40 torx or even a 1/2" socket.

Oh, and take a AAA Plus card...they won't go off road but they will go on a 12 mile dirt/gravel road...ask me how I know.

most important tool is a cell phone and charger. in any circumstance you can call for help. if you cant fix the heep, call someone who can. call someone to post online that you need help. call someone that can give you a ride home to get the big truck and trailer. yep, a cell phone. a GPS is a great thing to have also. even a cheap one that can give you your location.

most important tool is a cell phone and charger. in any circumstance you can call for help. if you cant fix the heep, call someone who can. call someone to post online that you need help. call someone that can give you a ride home to get the big truck and trailer. yep, a cell phone. a GPS is a great thing to have also. even a cheap one that can give you your location.

Not where I wheel! No cell service, too far out in the stix. 2-meter for help, CB for Jeep-to-Jeep communications

You have to be on mountain tops to even consider a bar or 2

Not where I wheel! No cell service, too far out in the stix. 2-meter for help, CB for Jeep-to-Jeep communications

Same here, I have been out of cellphone range for 3 days before. Ham would be the only way to get help.

and no one yet has mentioned safety wire and ratchet straps. Both are useful when things that are supposed to be attached aren't anymore.

Totally agreed. And, if you're going to have a ham rig of some sort in the Jeep, keeping a repeater guide for the area that you're travelling in handy would be a very good idea. Most decent radios will let you scan through whatever bands they may cover, but that's only useful if someone happens to be talking on the repeater at the time you happen to be scanning; same applies to PL tone scan.

If you're going to rely on your radio (ham, CB, or otherwise) as oh-s*** communication, as others have said you'll also want a GPS unit. Telling someone "I'm about x number of miles up Buttcrack Hollows trail" isn't necessarily going to get help straight to you - but giving latitude and longitude will. Consider that if you're really out in the back end of nowhere a helicopter may be sent out to spot you and guide people on the ground to your location, so accuracy counts for a lot.

One thing I've been doing for the last couple of years is keeping a copy of the repeater guide and the US Army Field Survival Guide on my phone as a backup to print. There are obvious downsides to this (battery goes out or the phone breaks, you're SOL), but it's at least one way to have the information to hand.

Back to the original question for a moment, though: one thing I haven't yet seen mentioned are the classic axe/hatchet and shovel combination. They may not be tools for working directly on the Jeep itself (until frustration sets in, anyway), but if you're running a D35 and find yourself suddenly needing to keep the wheel against the axle tube, that axe can be worth its weight in gold. Ditto ratchet straps - used them on three occasions to keep snapped leaf springs together enough to get the vehicle off the trail.

Back