• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

June 27th, Wheeling, Middle St. Vrain/Coney Flats

Skully

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so here it is; Middle St. Vrain then Coney Flats for a combo loop.

Meet in Boulder at the Gas station on Canyon blvd & 15th (south side) @ 8-8:30. This is the only gas station heading that way to Nederland.

We will caravan up through Nederland & up to Camp Dick (yes the camp's name is DICK) which will take about 45-60 minutes depending on group and traffic. Camp Dick trail head @ about 10am. Warning this trail can take some time, very scenic, plan for most of the afternoon!

Keep in mind that going through Coney Flats we go through a lake, Latest report was the lake was at "25 so you will need something a little bigger than stock and you need to know where your vulnerable parts are on your heep.

To give you a reference Hypoid made it through the Lake with 31's and a budget lift. SEE THE VIDEO OF HYPOID

I will probably fry up some Cheezy Bratz at the top before the lake, sombody bring some chips or something and depending on how many people hook up I might ask for a little help on the cheezy bratz.

Starting the list and everybody quote the list and carry it on;

1.) Team Skully 2.5 people

1.) Team Skully 2.5 people

2.) Team Hugo 4

Going to have to miss this one. I'm going to be in Ouray. :shhh:

I'll be there with my brownies. The video states the water is usually higher and it is. Looking at the water depth on the wheels and a 31" tire in the lake, I'd say the depth at that time was 19/20 inches. I just went through the trail yesterday and I'd say the lake is 23/25 inches deep.

hmmm, i'll have to think about this one.

What do you have to think about? Put on your NIKES and..........JUST DO IT!!

I'll be there with my brownies. The video states the water is usually higher and it is. Looking at the water depth on the wheels and a 31" tire in the lake, I'd say the depth at that time was 19/20 inches. I just went through the trail yesterday and I'd say the lake is 23/25 inches deep.

So you went up there yesterday and still want to do it again on the 27th? .......are you bored? :D

Yeah, that Video was Aug last year I believe. These two guys with gigantor Toys went through the lake and was making fun of Hypoid with the stock looking XJ. The lake usually is a little higher than it was at that time from what I remember in the past. Went there a year before that and it was about 2' high and I had 3" and 31's and made it fine.

I just wanted something visual to show people what I meant by driving through the lake so they will be prepared in case that sort of thing scares them....................rather have them not sign up instead of backing out at the lake.

Jim? Oh Jim, where are you? You asked about the run, so where is your sign up? :D

BTW I said 10am cause I was trying to remember the time it took from Boulder to Camp Dick, it would probably more like 9:00-9:30am as long as those meeting up do not chat chat too much and we can get rolling! :lickout:

1.) Team Skully 2.5 Cheezy bratz

2.) Team Hugo 4

3.) Ranger Rick 1 (some brownies)

Last edited:
It's a long trail with lots of different challenges. The lake seems about half way. Beaver Reservoir was flowing over it's spillway. That will help wash off the mud but then a few miles on dirt roads puts it back on.
Yes, I'm bored! I don't know how to get a group together for the trail I really like. Steep, narrow, 30 degree side hills + large rocks thrown in, both sides of the Cherokee in the bushes, and a deep, fast water crossing to a nice meadow and a small waterfall. One way in and the same way out.

Just ran both trails today and there are some fun obstacles and water crossings, only downside is they're both very rocky and therefor its a rough and bumpy trip.

Yes, I'm bored! I don't know how to get a group together for the trail I really like. Steep, narrow, 30 degree side hills + large rocks thrown in, both sides of the Cherokee in the bushes, and a deep, fast water crossing to a nice meadow and a small waterfall. One way in and the same way out.

:sure: :D

..........create build a trail, make millions! :thumbup:

MSV/Coney flats are one of my all time fav combo trails. Not for major challenges but for the different of everything, all the water crossings, and the scenery. Camped there one year close by the main creek off of MSV and it was so peacfull hearing the water flowing all night.

Just ran both trails today and there are some fun obstacles and water crossings, only downside is they're both very rocky and therefor its a rough and bumpy trip.

So you couldn't commit to this run on the 27th and had to do it today, Monday? Must be nice not to work on Monday...............

What do you have to think about? Put on your NIKES and..........JUST DO IT!!

i have to think about those ratings and my jeep being on 30's with 2 inches of lift. thats what i have to think about!

you've seen my jeep. think i can do it? its my daily driver and my hours at work just got cut. lol.

i have to think about those ratings and my jeep being on 30's with 2 inches of lift. thats what i have to think about!
Is your axle open? I had the benefit of my LS. I ran over pretty much everything Skully did with his 3" and 31s.

I'm talking old FR252. It's still there, but gets little use.

I'm talking old FR252. It's still there, but gets little use.

??????? Is that into Camp Dick? ...............so you are meeting at Camp Dick and not Boulder?

you've seen my jeep. think i can do it? its my daily driver and my hours at work just got cut. lol.

Go out and take a measuring tape and go from the ground to 30" and see where all your vulnerable electrical and intake is.......................

HYPOID has a 2.5" budget boost and 31" BFG A/Ts............the trail is not all that hard, just a lot of water forging.

Camped there one year close by the main creek off of MSV and it was so peacfull hearing the water flowing all night.

ditto, I like all the spanish moss in the trees there too... It was nice and peaceful last I camped there, right up until I buried a 12g fly into my left thumb nailbed.:rattle: I did enjoy the brookies and venison while I sat by the fire and bled though.:wierd:

If i can get my brakes done by then ill be in... MUD SUCKS. i had a little fun after slaughterhouse yesterday and went through a big puddle of mud. There is a bunch of mud caked on the bottom of my jeep... and my brakes are not sticking very well. I also need to get some new calipers and rotors, as well as shoes and get my drums checked. so i got a few things to do before i can make another run.

I would like to try it and break in my new locker but am to low and got my got my xm radio gizmo under the drivers seat , and also am just a little chicken :>{)))

I would like to try it and break in my new locker but am to low and got my got my xm radio gizmo under the drivers seat , and also am just a little chicken :>{)))

It is overwhelming going through that much water.................:looney:

You have 2" OME and 31" ATs right? Going to slap on those spacers and shackles anytime soon?

In two weeks the water level will probably go down............

It is your call I am not going to beg you to go, Hypoid has 2.5" budget lift and 31's and that video as was mentioned was 19-20" high water level.

Worse case scenario is you turn around and go back down then you can head to the other side at Beaver reservoir and go up. We will have lunch at the lake at top before going through the lake so you will not miss lunch. It is your call...................................

Last edited:
Go out and take a measuring tape and go from the ground to 30" and see where all your vulnerable electrical and intake is.......................

HYPOID has a 2.5" budget boost and 31" BFG A/Ts............the trail is not all that hard, just a lot of water forging.

what vulnerable electrical should i bee looking for?

If i can get my brakes done by then ill be in... MUD SUCKS. i had a little fun after slaughterhouse yesterday and went through a big puddle of mud. There is a bunch of mud caked on the bottom of my jeep... and my brakes are not sticking very well. I also need to get some new calipers and rotors, as well as shoes and get my drums checked. so i got a few things to do before i can make another run.

x2. i need break work done. ugh.

what vulnerable electrical should i bee looking for?

x2. i need break work done. ugh.

Take a tape measure and me measure up 25" then to 30" and see where it lies on your heep.

For you castle and Jim, Keep in mind unless you sit in the lake stopped you will not get water filling your cab unless you have holes in the floor. Look to see the reference where your distributor and electric stuff is in you engine compartment.

You move through the lake pretty fast and create a wake also. Watch that video of Hypoid, he went slow if you look at my video I went fast.

I may be down to join. I just have to see if I have any games that day or not.

My brother made it through there a couple of years ago in a wrangler with 2" lift and 31's

I should be able to make it though with 4.5" lift and 32's right? open front and rear.

Back