• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 jeep comanche Ax-5 problems.

xj_dummy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2.5L with a ax5 5 speed transmission.
My Clutch master cylinder was leaking on the inside of the cab, so I wanted to replace it before it would fry the fuse block directly below it.
So I replaced it with a new one and according to the Haynes repair manual about bleeding the clutch, I had to remove the "external clutch slave unit" and insert a socket to depress the piston then bleed it like a brake setup.
I did all that and when I installed it back into the tranny, the clutch pedal wouldn't move at all. A friend says that I have hydro lock but I turned the bleed screw and the pedal moves. But when I tighten the bleed screw it didnt fix anything.
So Where does the clutch slave cylinder plunger shaft move in the transmission?
Does anyone have an exploded view of that transmission showing where the slave sits?
Has anyone else had a problem like this?
Thanks for anyhelp.

There is a spacer between the slave and the bellhousing, remember to put that back on?

I know I've had the same problem, I'm just trying to remember why, and how I fixed it...

The slave plunger pushes on the throwout arm, it's a really simple set up, but the plunger is a little floppy, and if it misses the mark on the arm you'll have to re mount it. I think that is the problem if I remember correctly.

Good luck!

Mr. Random, did you have to bleed yours the same way with a socket? What size socket, standard or deep well. First I used a nail and shoved the plunger all the way in and wedge the nail behind the e clip.
Is there a spring on the end of the plunger that mounts to the clutch arm?
Yes I have the spacer mounted too.
thanks for your reply.

Back