• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new Toy!! v. Gun Crew

Tenny

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got this (on tuesday) and hit the range (today).

A lot of the parts on it are cheap, but I was trying to do it a tad cheap, but it could have been done about $150 cheaper w/o too much hassle. I can always upgrade stuff later if I want, and I'll have back up parts then..

For those that are interested (in costs):
Stripped Lower = $201
Upper, LPK, Stock, Grip, Scope, Rail System - $611
Mag Lock, Magazine, Laser Bullet, breakdown pin - $100

I still need a few things (case, two replacement springs, and more bullets).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Target Pics. (Missing #1 as i through it away (it was all over the place, mostly upper right though.).
Target 2:
target-2.jpg

Target 3:
taget-3.jpg

Target 4:
target-4.jpg

Where did you get the stunted magazine? I thought you could get a full size mag after the Clinton ban expired.

Nice though. Mine was 1000.00 assembled 3 mo. before Brady went into effect, and another 400 for a new flat top upper a few years later.

I AM VERY EXCITE!!! Sorry new toys are fun, what's next a beta C Mag?

Edit: Crap Sorry man I didn't see you were in CA earlier...I thought that you cannot bring those into the state anylonger. Must've been expensive my Uncle has three AR's in the State which he is very proud of.

Last edited:
As your next project:
Try loosing the conventional scope and getting a dot scope or a HUD mounted on the rail in front of the carrying handle. Get your mounting height set so the dot is about 1/2" above the open sights.

You bring the gun up to your shoulder and look through the sight, both eyes open, focused down range. The scope body/HUD frame will seem to vanish, leaving the illusion of a red dot floating out in front of the gun. Swing the dot to cover the target and squeeze.

It's amazing how fast it is. You'll love it, and you can leave the conventional sights as a backup.

tbburg said:
As your next project:
Try loosing the conventional scope and getting a dot scope or a HUD mounted on the rail in front of the carrying handle. Get your mounting height set so the dot is about 1/2" above the open sights.

You bring the gun up to your shoulder and look through the sight, both eyes open, focused down range. The scope body/HUD frame will seem to vanish, leaving the illusion of a red dot floating out in front of the gun. Swing the dot to cover the target and squeeze.

It's amazing how fast it is. You'll love it, and you can leave the conventional sights as a backup.
Ahh, so that's how you are supposed to do it with those type. My co-worker has an Eotech (sp?) and I didn't like it because at 100 yards I could barely see the target. At close range yeah those are the best I agree.

Now he has a ACOG, but I haven't tried it yet.

As far as the mag goes, yeah I'm in CA, so my magazine is limited at 10. The magazine is also locked in place, so I need a tool to remove it. Pretty lame I know :(.

Magazine fixed in place? How do you load it? Break it open like a shotgun and push em in from the top of the lower receiver? What a messed up state. I'd say I feel your pain, but to tell the truth, I'm glad I can't feel it.

The scope magnification helps out past 100 yards for precision work, but I've found the dots to be as accurate and easy to use as the open sights out as far as it matters.

I currently use a ProPoint PDP-4 (40mm body, easy to see through)

tbburg said:
Magazine fixed in place? How do you load it? Break it open like a shotgun and push em in from the top of the lower receiver? What a messed up state. I'd say I feel your pain, but to tell the truth, I'm glad I can't feel it.

The scope magnification helps out past 100 yards for precision work, but I've found the dots to be as accurate and easy to use as the open sights out as far as it matters.

I currently use a ProPoint PDP-4 (40mm body, easy to see through)
Yeah, we are supposed to load it like a shot gun. I did that once, then got fed up with it and I asked the range master if he cared if I removed the magazine. He didn't care thankfully so it made it much easier. I really would like to move out of this state, but for I am in college and just want to finish it before I leave.

Yeah I do think I will try out the EOTech again using how you suggested. Just never really thought of it like that before.

Dead simple. If you know your way around an AR, figure under an hour from the time you get the box. The only "hard" part of an AR is the barrel nut on the upper receiver.(requires a special wrench and vise fixture) The rest is cake.

I wanted a Bushmaster "field proven" bad, but when I went to the gun show I couldn't bring myself to pay the $1000 for it, so I got a cheap, ugly AK47. It was $305. Wood grips and wood stock. I put another $250 into it and got it to this point...

ak47 with site.jpg

What you don't see here is the 5 30 round clips.
Clip stacker (puts two clips side by side)
Hi intensity flash light that I can put on the rails.

I opted for a holo site since it is an assault weapon.

That is a beautiful gun you have there, and I still want one like that. lol, when I saw the picture of the box, I thought it might be a 50 cal Barret!

Ya, my son built one from ordering the lower, upper, etc all separate, came out pretty good. Is it against he law in Ca to have larger magazines or just to use them.
I had a few friends who back in the 80's bought HK93's or 94's then bought the full auto conversion kits for them, back then it was legal to buy the kits, you just could not install them but I know there are a whole bunch out there.

Just so you know, you can get a few different mag lock systems that are CA legal but push the envelope a bit.

One version actually has a small button INSIDE the mag release button, that requires "a tool" such as the tip of a .223 round, or anything else, to depress, but can't be pressed with the finger.

The other way, which I prefer, is an allen set screw inside the mag release button. When the screw is turned in, the mag release button is solid, and frozen, when it's turned out, the mag release button can be depressed as normal. It's your responsibility to reset the screw back to the IN position every time you reload! Not doing so could be illegal, and make it like a normal mag release button for quick mag changes.

If your rifle is soley going to be a target toy, you shouldnt get the eotech. eotech is more for kicking down doors and swifly acquring dirtbags in sight. For target, you won't see shit especially with big outside MOA on eotech. If you reallly like the dot thing id look into Leupold CQC series that's x4 power red dot scope. It's great because you can set it to x1 setting which is what eotechs and aimpooints are at, or you can set it up to x4 so you can do more precision shooting. Good alternative to this is more affordable Millett DMS-2 which is a great scope, I had it on my AR shot great never lost zero and clear glass up to par with big guys.

I mean you CAN shoot with eotech but its not as easy as the scope. Another alternative to eotech/aimpoint are the Magnifiers. Last I checked they have x3 and x4 magnifiers that swing out of the way when not needed. $$$$ though.

These are just my opinions, its all about preference just telling you what I prefer. Good luck with your sweet rifle

crazyjim said:
Just so you know, you can get a few different mag lock systems that are CA legal but push the envelope a bit.

One version actually has a small button INSIDE the mag release button, that requires "a tool" such as the tip of a .223 round, or anything else, to depress, but can't be pressed with the finger.

The other way, which I prefer, is an allen set screw inside the mag release button. When the screw is turned in, the mag release button is solid, and frozen, when it's turned out, the mag release button can be depressed as normal. It's your responsibility to reset the screw back to the IN position every time you reload! Not doing so could be illegal, and make it like a normal mag release button for quick mag changes.
The last one (allen set screw) is what I have in there (prince50) which is pretty nice. I kinda regret it though. The new Bullet Button, (on riflegear.com's website (this one)) is a combo of both the bullet button / prince 50. So you could back out the set screw, and just use it by hand all the time, or you can leave it in, but just use the bullet button.

I should have gone with that, but I was trying to be cheap. I do plan on ordering it, and a 10/30 magazine. I wanted a polymer one, thought I read that it was really good, but my co-worker keeps advising against it. Not sure what I'll do, but that's an order a few weeks (hopefully) out.

Starboard M said:
How hard would you say it was to build the lower?
It isn't too bad. It took me about an 1-1.5 hours total. As you can see in the pictures the upper was complete besides the rail / scope. There are plenty of tutorials online, but I found a video which was the most helpful. I also did all of it on a table about 1ft by 8inches so I didn't have that much working room. The only special tool I had was the stock (castle nut) tightener which i borrowed.

I don't have too much gun experience. The only other gun I own is a S&W .45ACP which was given to me by my dad. Supposedly he is going to give me his Rem 270, but I don't know if he will or not. He kind of has a habit of saying he'll give you a gun, but not giving it to you. (Originally the 270 was my brothers... Also he won't give my brother his 357).

The main problem right now (imo) is I put the bolt catch spring / disconnecter spring are backwards on mine. I have ordered new ones (just won't be here for a week). The disconnecter spring is tapered, where the bolt catch isn't. When I was putting it together I thought about it a lot on why the spring wouldn't go in easier. So I looked online, and saw that one place was selling the bolt catch spring that was tapered, so i figured mine was just tapered a tad too big. Of course now that I've done more searches on it, I've found it isn't supposed to be... but too little too late, I get to remove that when I get the new one in.

ECKSJAY said:
Good Lord...$201 for a stripped lower?

:confused1
Yeah, it sucks. Around here at least there is very few that will do AR-15's. The only two I know about is Rogers Relics and Irvington Arms. Rogers Relics I know someone that was rather unhappy with them (they lost his papers, had to re-do the DOJ papers). Irvington Arms is pretty decent, but they just charge like $80+ for the processing the transfer, then the $25 DOJ fees. So basically it blows. I figured I'll just do it through them for the convenience.

Tenny said:
Ahh, so that's how you are supposed to do it with those type. My co-worker has an Eotech (sp?) and I didn't like it because at 100 yards I could barely see the target. At close range yeah those are the best I agree.

Now he has a ACOG, but I haven't tried it yet.

As far as the mag goes, yeah I'm in CA, so my magazine is limited at 10. The magazine is also locked in place, so I need a tool to remove it. Pretty lame I know :(.

Come to Texas where you can still have the good stuff!:eyes:

rjstiles said:
Come to Texas where you can still have the good stuff!:eyes:

thats all good, except you have to live in texas... :gee:

Back