• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible Computer Replacements...

DIGITRUCK

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

'88 XJ Cherokee Laredo 4.0L Auto, 4WD.

I was curious does the Computer (ECU?) go bad? My '88 has the original Computer.

And, if it does go belly-up what replacements (years, model XJ) will fit and work in the event that I can't find another '88 4.0 Computer?

Where can I get them cheaply and how much should they cost?

Thx, Phil

Does it go bad? Not often (I've heard of two - and both had cooked injector drivers.)

Where can you get one? I'd say junkyard or parts rig. I don't think you'll be able to find one remanufactured - but you might be able to have yours remanufactured with a little looking.

What will fit? I'd have to check, but I think 87-88 are interchangeable, and 89-90 are interchangeable. They may be interchangeable 87-90, but I'd have to check to be sure - I know there were some small changes between the 88 and 89 model years.

What are your symptoms? You might not need an ECU...

5-90

Hey,

Thx 4 the replies.

My Computer is working ok (I think). What symptoms does it exhibit if malfunctioning? Vehicle is idling and running fine. What prompted me to ask about possible replacements was that if mine failed and I also read a post about the Computer was causing a lean condition thereby creating high NOX.

btw - Anyone know how much a Computer will cost?

Thx, Phil

DIGITRUCK said:
Hey,

Thx 4 the replies.

My Computer is working ok (I think). What symptoms does it exhibit if malfunctioning? Vehicle is idling and running fine. What prompted me to ask about possible replacements was that if mine failed and I also read a post about the Computer was causing a lean condition thereby creating high NOX.

btw - Anyone know how much a Computer will cost?

Thx, Phil
Never heard that one, it's pretty much a run no run thing.

Like 5-90 said i think the renix box is impossible to cook... I had 2 electrical fires from an accident and voltage going every which way it should not and it was still good... I took apart two CARDONE reman units just for ha-has and there was no appearence of any repairs made to them this tells me that I dont think cardone even does anything otehr then clean the contacts, and paint them up. The french make a bullet proof ECM

Back