• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Midwest Chapter - Seriously

Rev Den

NAXJA Forum User
As I took part in the destruction of the previous thread, it is only fair that I revive it now....
Rev
MuddyXJ said:
OK enough talk about it lets get it started. Anyone interested in a Midwest/Great Lakes/ Heartland chapter, let's go. I have talked to a few people that say they want it and willing to start it. Only those serious about it need to respond. Let's say OH,IN,IL,MI,MO,WI,MN,and IA members for now and see where the interest is. Go here and let's see who's interested.

I am still interested and a lot curious. MuddyXJ started a Yahoo group which I'm not sure is really necessary (sorry Muddy .. no offense intended) as we should be able to have a forum on this site without having to risk generating spam.

Through all the posts in the earlier thread, one question that really never was answered (and maybe it never was really asked) was: How does the existence of regional chapters benefit NAXJA members in a particular area? Another question is: Are regional Chapters "sponsored" by NAXJA and, if so, in what way?

I've noticed that several other Chapters exist and wonder if any of them can offer any feed back on this.

Les

lbexj said:
Through all the posts in the earlier thread, one question that really never was answered (and maybe it never was really asked) was: How does the existence of regional chapters benefit NAXJA members in a particular area? Another question is: Are regional Chapters "sponsored" by NAXJA and, if so, in what way?

I've noticed that several other Chapters exist and wonder if any of them can offer any feed back on this.

Well the benefit is that local to each other people get to know each other better and exist as a group thus organizing more local rides/events/activities. In regards to "sponsored".... well NAXJA offers forums :D I'm sure others will have more to say on this topic :D

lbexj said:
How does the existence of regional chapters benefit NAXJA members in a particular area? Another question is: Are regional Chapters "sponsored" by NAXJA and, if so, in what way?
Les

Wow, that is an interserting angle. Yikes!

As a long time Member, ex BOD Officer, etc.... Why would NAXJA exist to "sponsor" a chapter in an special way? NAXJA is a club, and an internet site. Chapters bring the "local" aspect to those areas with enough interest.

Chapters where first thought of as a way to get "locals" together, and *at least* put on one event per year that all NAXJA Members could attend, if possible. The locals would best be able to form a group, and put on the best event. Heck, the BOD could assign an"Events" guy to put on an event in Michigan.... but withoght local input? That wouls suck. We would all be wheeling in Wriggkey Field (at least put it to a good use!).

Chapters evolved since conception. However, one thing has been a constant... a Chapter should be a benefit to the club as a whole. It should NOT be the club as a whole supporting a Chapter. The dues we all pay are really stretched thin by the Elected Super Heros of NAXJA, and "sponsoring" a Chapter in any other way than actually blessing them as a Chapter is asking a bit much. NAXJA gives the Chapter a forum, and advice, etc.... They certainly ar not giving them a bank balance. Chapters can build that aspect.

Chapters ARE helped along by NAXJA, but they are NOT pushed along. Some try and fail. Some fail right off.... and some keep trying. I suggest that if the interest is there...you keep trying. But nobody but the locals can really make it happen.

The BOD may have more to offer, I am just giving my opinion on the matter.

There seems to be a Winterfest Forum up and running now... That may be a very good opurtunity to get the MidWest folks talking about getting it together.
Glenn

lbexj said:
I am still interested and a lot curious. MuddyXJ started a Yahoo group which I'm not sure is really necessary (sorry Muddy .. no offense intended) as we should be able to have a forum on this site without having to risk generating spam.

Les

I'll try to answer your questions and I also have a few in return.

My feelings are that the existence of a Chapter in a region should be a resource and outlet for XJ/MJ owners within the region as well as transient folks passing through or visiting. In other words...things going on throughout the year besides the 'regularly scheduled' NAXJA annual events, and an opportunity for members passing through an area to wheel and/or visit local points of interest (also having a sort of 'XJ AAA' safety net in case ones junk goes bad junky while within reach of a chapter.) Another thing Chapters can do is get involved in local land-use issues and participate in trail rehab/upkeep projects, as well as supporting other groups that do these things. This benefits NAXJA as a whole by creating opportunities for POSITIVE exposure as well as promoting awareness of our club and it's activities. This should lead to more folks joining as new members, and keep existing members motivated to renew. Chapters can be a valuable resource for NAXJA in hosting events within a region, as well as taking on special projects for the club. (Ex: SE Ch. hosting the Tellico annual summer event and helping build the Giveaway XJ)

The Chapters aren't so much 'sponsored' by NAXJA (I equate 'sponsored' to 'subsidized by' in this context) as much as they have a ready-made and proven framework with just a few common-sense guidelines/bylaws under which to operate. Each Chapter is and should be it's own entity. I always encourage Chapters to keep an eye on and stay in contact with their peers... Copy things other Chapters are doing successfully, and avoid things that have created problems for the others. Besides just offering a web forum and article space in the newsletter, another thing that NAXJA can do for Chapters is help coordinate resources for events and projects. (Ex. if a Chapter needed help getting an event off the ground, be it $$$ loaned for some merchandise, assistance with permiting, NAXJA logo items, coordination with Tread Lightly or UFWDA for support or materials etc...I think the BOD would look favorably on requests like that.)

My general question in return is wondering how big an area a prospective Chapter is planning to encompass, and how they intend to best serve the Members & XJ/MJ community within their region. 10 solid folks that work well & have fun together in a smaller area may be able to do much more good than 50 scattered across hundreds of miles?

Other pointed questions: How many interested Members does the Midwest Region have presently? How many interested non-members? (and do they have plans to join or simply participate as outsiders?)

Obviously NAXJA can exist without Chapters, and a group of enthusiasts doesn't "need" NAXJA to get together, have fun, and accomplish things... somewere in the middle of that is where the Chapters fit in IMHO.

Thanks for reading all that and looking forward to some replies.

seanR said:
Well I am interested in a MW Chapter, I dont know what ever happened to the PM I sent to FF a month ago? but I can shoot another one off if nessecary.

Sean, I did receive, and pass on your request to the BOD. I have deleted all of my PM's, but I am pretty derned sure I responded and let you know as much.

Further discussion on the matter should be done either on the Members Forum, or back channel.

Thanks Glenn and Woody for your insight on how Chapters work within NAXJA. In my brief membership so far, I have seen several of the locals (folks within surrounding states to Indiana) get together at Attica. These were never really considered "official" NAXJA events and were not conceived from a Chapter. These type of events obviously have happened before despite the fact no Midwest Chapter existed. However, I wonder if at anytime these same people ever organized an "Unofficial Event" such as charitable runs, trail maintenance, etc. Maybe it has, I don't know, but I see how organizing a Chapter can do these types of things (why I didn't see that before :dunno: )

One of my original questions involved NAXJA "support". I really was not referring to NAXJA providing any funds, prizes, or anything of that type thing to the local Chapters. I belong to our local Elks Lodge and I understand the fact that the local lodges "support" the National Organization by providing these things. I can see how local NAXJA Chapters can help do the same by raising funds to provide these to National events. I probably should have been more specific by asking if there is "support" from the standpoint of guidance in helping organize local Chapters (you answered that too). Are there are any legal or liablility issues involved if a Chapter schedules an event (does that make it "official"?) and does NAXJA help with these?

I guess most of my problem is I've never been involved in an organization or club to fully understand everything that it entails.

To be honest, when I joined NAXJA, it was mainly just to be able to get together with other XJ'ers and learn more about four wheelin'. I can now see that it can be more than that if we can organize a local chapter. I guess that is what everyone in the midwest needs to consider. Do they want more out of NAXJA than this?

I think I do.

Les

good attitude IMHO. way to go Les!
Chapters are an enhancement to the NAXJA experience. :)

I would be all over a MW chapter. I haven't joined NAXJA yet, but if there was a MW chapter, I would join in a minute. I am new to wheelin' and would like to get together with people who have been there and done that. Anything I could do to help get the chapter up and running, just let me know!

lbexj said:

I was just trying to get things started. This discussion has been brought up at least once a year since I have been a member. And everytime it is nothing comes of it. I just feel it's time for action. There was a member that created a yahoo group of midwestern members but was a limited("click") to join group. It seems that if a "higher up" member doesn't endorse the idea nobody wants to push the issue. As of now there are 9 members signed up on my yahoo group( which is coming down in another week, was just intended to get membership numbers and info if there was any) that are interested, I think nobody has typed anything on there, which seems to me to be more then we have speaking up here.

A chapter's success depends on it's members and organization and so far we have neither. I'm sorry if I have affended anyone for initiating anything or saying anything to affend you but this topic gets frustrating seeing everyone talk and no one act.

Rufies97XJ said:
Well... the first thing we have to do is "ask" for our own forum. And if that goes well, we can move forward.

The Midwest group HAS had a forum. Twice.

I suggest those that are serious about this, take the discussion on it to the existing thread on the NAXJA Members Forum. If there are enough 'seriously interested' Members...ones who will step up to lead, maybe we can entertain the notion a bit further. If other non-Members would like to participate in the prospective Chapter at more than a 'participant' level...it would probably be a good time to join.

Beezil said:
and seriously guys, quit worrying about stickers.

get a club first.

stickers don't make the club.

the club makes stickers.

my stickers have been 2 yrs in the making. dont try to drag me down beezil.

cheers,

jj

Back