• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche Chief

jbain08

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up a stock 88 Comanche Chief about a year ago and been working on it ever since..... started wheelin' in a 98 XJ on 35's but always.... always... always wanted an MJ. Here are a few mods and pics...

98 front clip
4.5 inches of lift
4.0 HO conversion
JCR 1 ton steering
Front Skid
Long Arms
Sleeved and braced dana 30
SOA rear
8.8 Rear axle with disc brakes
Smittybuilt Winch
4.88 gears
Lockers front and rear
DIY Beadlocks
36 SX's
Double sheer adjustable trackbar
Homebrew Rock sliders
Triple Brake Booster Mod
Interior Roll w/Bed Cage
WJ seats
98 Console
Doorless Mod
Street Legal
blah... blah... blah... :)

DSC_0665.jpg

DSC_0699.jpg

DSC_0730.jpg

IMG_20131121_164749_zpsa57dfae5.jpg

passfull_zps65a45eb8.jpg

DSC_0856_zpsad165bad.jpg

IMG_20140209_133759_zps43112982.jpg

Yep.... always planned to mount them with better but the guy delivered them the day before a ride so I hung them with 2 bolts through the top with a flat plate on the bottom. If you look close you'll see that they are bent crooked so the guy is suppose to get me another set bent.... but you know how that goes..... on a side not I really like your avatar 87 manche.... got a 5 year old standard at home recovering from ruptured disc surgery.... If you own one it makes it that much funnier because those guys are fearless.

Was finally able to get the bump stops and Limit straps finished up.
Here is the front a full droop
Front_zpsa298221d.jpg

The spring upseats about 2.5 inches
FrontDroop1_zpsda4c2c4e.jpg

This is full stuff on the opposite side
FrontStuff_zps35f6edfe.jpg

This is what it looks like on the bump… before I bottomed out the shock… now I have about 1 inch
FrontBump_zps041d1dfb.jpg

Here is the rear at full stuff
RearStuff_zps9bed9305.jpg

This is what it looks like on the bump
RearBump_zpsa2a26dd6.jpg

So here is something I didn’t do before…. Teeter
Rear_zpsb3f7bfd7.jpg

Last edited:
on a side not I really like your avatar 87 manche.... got a 5 year old standard at home recovering from ruptured disc surgery.... If you own one it makes it that much funnier because those guys are fearless.

I have two.

Rocky and Bullwinkle.

they're morons that are endless amusement.

Rocky is weighing in about 23 lbs. He's not "fat" but hes definitely on the big side.

bullwinkle is a mini. maybe 10 lbs.

Thanks chedisme..... I bobbed the bed 6 inches to decrease my departure angle. I chose that number because any more than that would have been useless due to the rear spring shackle. Besides I did some photoshopping and found 6 was exact amount to make it functional but not give it that "Extreme Bob" look.

Thanks 89eliminator..... I really appreciate it..... is Rocky the Red 87manche?

yeah. He's a standard smooth red

Bullwinkle is mini smooth dapple.

they're backwards for the right sizes, but we already had rocky, so bullwinkle was the natural name when we got a second dog.

they keep me amused for sure.

Rocky went wheeling at my first event when he was 6 months old. He's a well traveled dog. It think he's been in about 10 states now. We took two weeks and did the east coast this summer with the dogs, jeep and a tent.

The red looks like a pretty big dog..... I took Frank wheeling once and he had a heck of a time staying in the seat. However he loves to ride in my Silverado.....

they've learned to lean into it.
I did bounce bullwinkle off the dash of the box truck during a panic stop once.

it was a rude way to wake him up for sure. He was not pleased.

Back