• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ cage

89eliminator

NAXJA Forum User
well its going to be that time for me soon where i need to start thinking about safety haha. right now i have a rollbar (aka showbar) from a dodge dakota in my truck. i think it would help a LITTLE in a roll, i know it wouldnt help save the cab. i'd like to keep the cab portion an exo, mainly just to keep what little room i have. i have seen a lot of people running there cages through the tops on the front fenders and plan on doing that as well. what im curious in is to see what people are doing with cages into the bed. or are you only building the cage for the cab? so mainly, i would like to see some pics of what you have done and what you would do different.

-Wade

Put a halo over the cab and run 2 bars back into the bed, similar to what your rollbar is doing, but I'd run them onto the floor vs the wheelwell.

Where's Cracker to show off his cage? :D

I had figured on Brian doing it like the front of Pats cage, but bring the halo out the back and run a hoop back into the back wall of the cab for harnesses.
Tie the a pillar bars into rocker replacements

Cut what's left of my bed out of the way and run the bars in the bed back and tie them into the shackle boxes to combat the frame bending.

and when did we get a forum? I'd just planned on being the shunned stronger brother of the XJ for life.

I had figured on Brian doing it like the front of Pats cage, but bring the halo out the back and run a hoop back into the back wall of the cab for harnesses.
Tie the a pillar bars into rocker replacements

Cut what's left of my bed out of the way and run the bars in the bed back and tie them into the shackle boxes to combat the frame bending.

and when did we get a forum? I'd just planned on being the shunned stronger brother of the XJ for life.

pretty nifty forum, isnt it?

but you have the luxury of already not having a bed haha. i like the harness idea though.

As a general rule, I hate Exo cages(the way they look) and wouldn't want on on my rig. the exception would be a DD MJ. It's a safety thing. The cab's just too small to run a bunch of tube around your head unless you're planning on wearing a helmet in there.

Here's what the builder did with my bed. The cage bars don't take up much floor space. (The spare, tool box and fuel cell take care of the floor) This is a bolt in bed cage. It was made removable to pull the bed if necessary.
(Thumbnail images are links to full size photos)

PM me if you want detali photos or any closeups.

pretty nifty forum, isnt it?

but you have the luxury of already not having a bed haha. i like the harness idea though.

yeah, I can't see running the B pillar in the cab, there's just not any room behind the seats, I like keeping important stuff back there anyway to keep it dry, spare clothes and recovery stuff.

I thin kyou could use my idea with a full bed, you'd just have to inboard the B-Pillar post inside the bed rails and use the factory roll bar mount location.

THe only downside to that is that with no internal pillars I couldn't tie the seat bases directly into the cage, but I think a small frame tied into the rocker replacements for seats would get the job done and tie them into the overall cage structure.

so you have no cab cage? i do like that setup though.

it looks like it's removable after the cab with slugs, and the bars run into the roof of the cab to form an internal halo.

I really don't want an interan lcage, Jennie barely fits in the cab as it is, with a cage bar inside she'd hit her head constantly on tube.

Maybe I should have clarified in my first post: The 741 truck is not a daily drive(or even a street driven vehicle) I don't drive it without a helmet. It has a full internal cage. It was score-legal('07 I think), but it's not up to the latest rule-book revisions.
The halo is pressed against the roof, and there are tubes punched through the top of the cab above the rear glass. Slugs attach the rear bars about 3" outside the cab, and the whole thing bolts into the bed(and frame).
'Can't see much of the cage work, but if you look behind the seats close in this pic you can see the X-brace and cross bar that the harnesses attach to.

I posted pics of the back because 89elimintaor asked for ideas on what to do with the bed-cage area. 'Remove all the excess crap from my bed, and put the gas tank back under the bed, and the load floor is clear. If you are still running a tailgate, the braces running up to the bed corners would be unnecessary, and obviously I hope for your truck's sake that your driving style doesn't require the rear "Nerf" bumper. :roll:

My preference for a exo-cage in a daily driver MJ stems from the small cab size. Put a bunch of DOM behind the seat and along the door frames, and you are asking for a headache(or a concussion).

Swanty Dodge up in Kingman AZ has a SCORE Class 7 MJ that has some interesting cage work in it. The front part of the cage is pretty conventional, but the main hoop is half outside the cab. The top bar is inside the cab at the back, but the b-pillar bars angle back and go out the window. You could go one step further and move the whole main hoop and cross braces outside, pressed right against the back of the cab. If you want to run harnesses, punch mounts through the cross beam and the back of the cab, having the ring mounts inside the cab.

so I knew there was someone that I think had something like what you are going for but I couldn't think who.

Check out pictures of NAXJA member Cracker and his rig. Ask him about it.

Where's Cracker to show off his cage? :D

so I knew there was someone that I think had something like what you are going for but I couldn't think who.

Check out pictures of NAXJA member Cracker and his rig. Ask him about it.

Get with the times Jake, I said that a week ago! :wave:

Back