• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SOA with LOW COG

831_xj

NAXJA Forum User
So.. Plan to swap an 8.8 into the MJ. Ordered synergys low pro perches and the other goodies.
I have 2wd leaves and I want this jeep to stay around 4.5" in the rear but still be able to handle all the camping gear etc.
Who has made a bastard pack that has kept the MJ lower after the SOA? How does it handle a load? I've been reading on using some Waggy springs or maybe even explorer springs in a bastard pack. Need some first hand knowledge.

Thanks

If you want low COG, stay SUA. The tubes on an F8.8 are larger than C8.25 or D44. So, that right there is going to net you additional height. Maybe slight height offset depending on how "low pro" the perches are.

Sua sucks in the rocks. Breaking u bolts for sierra fest and dragging as a rock anchor sucked. Go soa . If it ends up at 5.5" its not the end of the world . You can always go to pnp or cl and grab leaves to build a bastard pack. I think 2wd leaves and low profile perches will have you sitting pretty low

Sua sucks in the rocks. Breaking u bolts for sierra fest and dragging as a rock anchor sucked. Go soa . If it ends up at 5.5" its not the end of the world . You can always go to pnp or cl and grab leaves to build a bastard pack. I think 2wd leaves and low profile perches will have you sitting pretty low

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...arch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

And Jon.. are there any vehicles that you don't break ? Haha. (=

I got the synergys don't have to mess with grinding the ruff stuffs down a bunch to get them lower. I've been researching and I might build a pack as so mj main f150 second explorer 3rd and maybe some sorta flat leaf 4th no overload. The explorer and f150 will help with load but should in theory bring the arch down some... Idono I'll have to hit the jy when the time comes. Maybe xmas with half off again.

Sorry I should clarify an f150 main with eyes cut and probably the second from the explo pack... I'll keep this updated as I go

And since the tubes are 1/2" wider wouldn't that only equate to 1/4" more lift? Sorta like tires. 33s to 35s only adds 1" more diff clearance. In theory I shouldn't gain any lift as those synergy perches are as low as possible.

I would not go with F-150 leaves at all. Thick and stiff. I used a single waggy eyeless main leaf in the rear of an XJ stock pack in an XJ...gave me 3" of lift by itself and I could put 400 lbs of gear in the back end and it didn't sag...an F-150 leaf would be stiffer still and would probably give you more lift than you want with the light rear end on the MJ.

If you want to keep it lower but still have load capacity using more...but thinner leaves would be better.

Stock XJ leaves are quite flat. I'd use the MJ main and MJ 2nd, then put an eyeless XJ main, then XJ 2nd and XJ 3rd... then find the flat MJ overload leaf to put in as a 6th leaf. The overload leaf won't increase your spring rate until you have enough load in the bed to use it so it will only give you the 1/2" of lift from the thickness of the leaf itself. We've used stock MJ packs with eyeless mains under a stock XJ main and netted 4" of lift on an XJ...so you'd effectively be doing the reverse to the MJ.

SOA it should still keep it from having too much lift since you're taking some of the stock MJ leaves out which have a good arch to them. Either way you're still looking at nearly 5" of lift just by going SOA.

You could also run an adjustable shackle to more finely tune it...the shackles with the extra holes in them SHOULD be able to be adjusted down to where they are shorter than MJ shackles OR of course make them longer by using the right set of holes.

Beware of adjustable shackles

6d384c23dd9aec9c701e509518483073.jpg

I've done the same to 2 sets of shackles LOL

I'll be going likely to a XJ shackle or maybe a JKS boomerang. Either way I gotta play with some leaves because 6.5"-7" lift on 33's is stupid. On a side note.. Was trolling the JY and I noticed also the 8.8 I pulled from the Explo had one main leaf and a bunch of leaves cut down to sorta a lift block size. The main seamed much thinner than the other ones like XLT v8 explorers. Just a thought.

dude with a SOA you should get a decent lift but not 6-7". if you use shorter perches I bet 4-5" which is perfect. just run your leaves. Ill bet they have flattened out over the years, maybe sitting 1-2" lower than stock perhaps ?

Well where I figured in the 6.5" was if I used RS perches or something and added the extra tube diameter.. I actually canceled my Synergy order since the 2.5" leaf perches were backordered. Probably going to order TNTs ubolt eliminator perch kit. My leafs were in super good shape as far as I could tell. The rear sat higher about 1.5" from front when stock. I'd be happy with 1" rake and 5" coils up front. I guess I will have to wait and see I'll plan on keeping my stock leafs pending how much lift it ends up. Need front lift stuff anyways..

you could simply drill out some like 5.5" 1/2" plate (REMs are cheaper) and weld it to the tube, super flat. hell you could add some extra holes for plug welds too. I would also gusset it to the tube as well.

drill out a hole for a center pin , and 4 holes for bolts at each corner. 1/2" would be beefy, sit low, and should be deep enough of the head of the center pin.

Been up all night eaiting cheeze its with a lttle bit of coffee and some beer with a side of whiskey...

Thanks jon for the idea.
3/8" plate 3/16" gussets U Bolt eliminators 9/16" holes

Saved money and also kept ride height down.

That would be a legit mj rear lift kit . The minimal lift perches like that

Any progress on the SOA? Im planning on doing the same and want to try to keep it around 4" in the rear.. looking at using 2wd leafs and xj shackles.. let us know how yours turns out

he used 3/8" plate pretty much directly onto the axle tube. worked well. I recommend it.

Any progress on the SOA? Im planning on doing the same and want to try to keep it around 4" in the rear.. looking at using 2wd leafs and xj shackles.. let us know how yours turns out
As Jon said, it is already done. If you go to the Sierra Chapter Forum and read his thread it is all there.

Back