• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 cooling system update

4.whoa

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 Comanche that I've ditched the pressurized tank and switched to a newer style radiator with the cap right on it. the new rad. doesn't have a spot for the sensor in the tank, and from what I can find that's what controls the elec fan. my question is, will a t-stat housing sensor (from an HO) run it? I cant find the sensor resistance values to compare them.

TIA

yes.

and it's not a sensor, it's a switch. so you need to find a generic temperature switch that threads into the HO thermostat housing that turns on at 215 or so.

the radiator switch turns on at a much lower temp because it's in the cold side of the rad. Something like 170-180.
a 91 radiator has the right port for the renix temp switch, that's what's in mine. Has to be for a 91.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I'll see if I can get one tomorrow. I don't remember what year my radiator is from, but it's not threaded for a sensor.

well, I still had the receipt in the glovebox for mine, and you're in luck, the thermal paper is still legible.

Autozone P/N 432335

is this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pli-432335
and it has the threaded hole in the driver's side for the factory temp switch.
IMG_20140813_100857_717_zpspupeoygz.jpg

Back