• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping manual window/door controls onto power door

k-bay xj

NAXJA Member #1356
Hey everyone, I have been a member for a while and just been searching the forums to learn all I can about my XJ. There is some really great info in here.
Here is my question: All four of my doors are pretty rusted out, and I will be getting four doors off of a donor for free. The only problem is that they are power window and locks, and I have a manual setup. Will it be possible to just swap out all of the manual stuff into the power doors, or do I have to keep the power setup and wire it in. I would rather keep the manual stuff, as it is less prone to problems than the power setup.
My vehicle is a '91 Xj (not sure about what model, it is an old government surplus vehicle, bought for $400 from DRMO).
The donor is a '89, not sure what model either.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Matt

it takes some time but is rather simple, remove your power tracks/motors and replace with the manual stuff, pretty much that simple.

you will need a big rivot gun or you can bolt the stuff back in with small bolts.

super easy swap.

dan

Hey thanks alot for replying. I figured it would be that easy, but wanted to get a little input before I started tearing things apart.
Matt

Back