• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!! Transfer case and transmission are sitting too high

Stevegunit16

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, what's up guys...

I got a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0, Auto, NP231 T-case, 4x4, LP DANA30, C8.25.
The jeep is completely stock, with the exception of 1 1/2 transfer case drop spacers. I didn't know what the need for them was until I took them off and put the crossmember back on the way it should've came from factory, after I did that I noticed that my transfer case, transmission and exhaust is sitting way higher than it should be. I thought maybe it wouldn't be a problem, so I took it for a test drive and whenever I hit certain bumps, I can hear and feel something hitting on my floorboard or crossmember. So what I have done is, changed out motor mounts, and transmission mount (it has the non offset mount). Also inspected the crossmember to see if its bent, I'm gonna be doing an RE 5.5 Long Arm lift so I have mocked up the RE crossmember/Skidplate to see where it will be sitting after the lift, and it doesn't make a difference, it's still sitting high! I have throughly inspected the jeep for signs of a wreck, every body part has the vin numper sticker on it. I'd like to hear some other opinions from you guys please!

IMG_2295.jpg.html

Take some pix and post them. It sounds like maybe the tcase is clocked wrong.

What measurements show that the trans and t-case are "too high" ? Have you found the points of contact ?

I see that somebody boogered up the 4x4 shifter linkage when they did the t-case drop, and I don't see any bushings . Wondering if that what is making contact/noise ?

The pictures show up.

Last edited:
What measurements show that the trans and t-case are "too high" ? Have you found the points of contact ?

I see that somebody boogered up the 4x4 shifter linkage when they did the t-case drop, and I don't see any bushings . Wondering if that what is making contact/noise ?

The pictures show up.

I have not found the points of contact, I just know it wasn't making noise before I took off the transfer case drop. I thought the linkage looked like it hadn't been touched, just pushed up.

What are the signs that it's been messed with?

Looks like it is clocked wrong from what I can see. There are a set of holes equally spaced around the tcase where it mounts. It looks like it is off by one hole. The drive shaft should not be any where near that high.

Looks like it is clocked wrong from what I can see. There are a set of holes equally spaced around the tcase where it mounts. It looks like it is off by one hole. The drive shaft should not be any where near that high.

Can you take a pic of your transfer case to see what position it's in?

Not on a factory set-up !!!

uhhhhhhhhhh

no way.

THANKS, you guys have found the problem!!! This whole time I thought the linkage was original and not modified so lead me to believe the drivetrain was pushed up, but that linkage was the problem!

Awesome!! Appreaciate it!!!

Everything about the height of the xfer case look normal to me including the clocking.

Check for the point of contact. Get under there and look at the exhaust to verify it is not making contact with the cross member or the floor in the area of the xfer case.

With 5.5" of lift, the drive shafts will have a steeper down slope. That is a different can of worms altogether.

Back