• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Started Then Stalled

vabeachtennis

NAXJA Forum User
I left the lights on and the battery died. When I got a jump it started and died, I had to keep my foot on the gas or it would stall. After a few times it didn't need my foot on the gas and it went back to normal and started without my foot on the gas and idled like normal.

After I got home I turned it off, waited, started it again ,and all was well. Is this something I should worry about or did it just not have enough charge in the battery to keep it idling on it's own?

1996 Cherokee 4.0 automatic.

Yeah, completely dead battery may not have enough juice. That's why it's a really good idea to charge the battery at least a little before jumping it. I'd recommend throwing the battery on a charger overnight and then load testing it to make sure it's still good.

Yeah, completely dead battery may not have enough juice. That's why it's a really good idea to charge the battery at least a little before jumping it. I'd recommend throwing the battery on a charger overnight and then load testing it to make sure it's still good.

Thanks for the reply, we were stranded at work and needed to get home so we just jumped it. So far it has been started three times and I ran it a long time, all seems normal again.

I have had the battery go dead before and all it took was a jump and it was good to go. This time was a lot different. I also cleaned the terminals and clamps.

100% normal, and no worries for a 96-01 Cherokee. Letting the battery drain to dead will delete the idle settings from the computer.

Back