• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JKS Track Bar Double Shear

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Seems like a simple question, but Im second guessing myself.

Is it possible to convert a JKS trackbar to use a double shear upper mount?

I have the JKS trackbar on my Jeep, which has ~2'' of lift. Due to shitty driving and/or roads the stock upper bracket has wallowed out the mounting hole.

This is developing a slight wobble at speeds, and loose feeling steering. :nono:

Rather than buy a entirely new trackbar and mount, can I not just buy a new mount and use the existing trackbar?
The JKS uses a 2.5'' JJ, which most double shear mounts seem to use.

I assume I can get a stock drop mount, unbolt, bolt new on, and Im golden?

I used to have the JKS track bar and if yours is the same as my old one then it uses a Johnny Joint at the frame end bracket. It has a single bolt the bolts vertically into the stock track bar frame end mount. Other than maybe fabbing up a double sheer mount on the stock mount or making a custom mount then there is no way to get double sheer here as all other after market mounts use a joint or bushing at the frame end with the bolt mounting horizontally. If you look closely at the Claytons mount you will see what I am talking about. The Jonny Joint on the JKS track bar is welded to the bar itself and cannot be rotated horizontally without cutting it off and welding it back on after rotating it to a horizontal position.

If I were you I would pick up another factory mount from a junkyard Jeep or pick up a whole new track bar with a double sheer mount.

Clayton has just the bracket it sounds like you need. OEM height and meant for a 2.5" JJ.

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/18_78/products_id/309
That was the exact mount I found.

I used to have the JKS track bar and if yours is the same as my old one then it uses a Johnny Joint at the frame end bracket. It has a single bolt the bolts vertically into the stock track bar frame end mount. Other than maybe fabbing up a double sheer mount on the stock mount or making a custom mount then there is no way to get double sheer here as all other after market mounts use a joint or bushing at the frame end with the bolt mounting horizontally. If you look closely at the Claytons mount you will see what I am talking about. The Jonny Joint on the JKS track bar is welded to the bar itself and cannot be rotated horizontally without cutting it off and welding it back on after rotating it to a horizontal position.

If I were you I would pick up another factory mount from a junkyard Jeep or pick up a whole new track bar with a double sheer mount.
The JJ on my trackbar is the threaded kind.

I have the trackbar in the center.
p_ogs151_121_128.jpg

I assume I can just turn the JJ 90* and bolt it into Claytons bracket.

That was the exact mount I found.

The JJ on my trackbar is the threaded kind.

I have the trackbar in the center.
p_ogs151_121_128.jpg

I assume I can just turn the JJ 90* and bolt it into Claytons bracket.

Can you take a picture of the track bar you have so we can get a better idea of what you are talking about?

Not saying you are wrong but the part number for that track bar in the middle of that picture is not listed as one that fits an XJ. The ones that I can find only list the adjustable part of the bar being at the axle end where the frame end is welded in place. So if we could see a picture of exactly what you have on your Jeep we could better help you out and steer you in the right direction.

I converted an RE TB to double shear using the Clayton no-drop bracket.

the bracket is 2-5/8" wide for a 2.5" JJ, so I had to use washers, and then get a set of wide misalignment spacers for the rod end.

you may need to get a different center ball for your JJ depending on the through hole Diameter (the bracket comes 9/16"). you will also probably need to stack washers or make some spacers to fill the gap if your JJ is not the full-size 2.5" joint.

Can you take a picture of the track bar you have so we can get a better idea of what you are talking about?

Not saying you are wrong but the part number for that track bar in the middle of that picture is not listed as one that fits an XJ. The ones that I can find only list the adjustable part of the bar being at the axle end where the frame end is welded in place. So if we could see a picture of exactly what you have on your Jeep we could better help you out and steer you in the right direction.

Well shucks. According to JKS, I have the OGS126, which as you pointed out has the adjustment on the axle side bushing, not the JJ side.

Good news is the Clayton bracket and the JJ both use 9/16'' holes.

I will check tomorrow and make sure thats whats going on. Worse case scenario, I sell the JKS and buy another TB.
Anyone have a good TB designed for 2'' of lift? I will not use cRustys, IRO, or Rough Country.

Well shucks. According to JKS, I have the OGS126, which as you pointed out has the adjustment on the axle side bushing, not the JJ side.

Good news is the Clayton bracket and the JJ both use 9/16'' holes.

I will check tomorrow and make sure thats whats going on. Worse case scenario, I sell the JKS and buy another TB.
Anyone have a good TB designed for 2'' of lift? I will not use cRustys, IRO, or Rough Country.

Like I said before I had the JKS track bar and it was great I just wanted to eventually add more lift and I was at that bars limit at 3.5" of lift. I went with Ironman4x4's front track bar listed here: http://ironman4x4fab.com/Products/TB.html

But at only 2" of lift, I would just find another stock frame side bracket and keep running that track bar. That really is the cheapest and easiest solution for you here.

bumping this back, I have the same trackbar. Clayton's bracket just showed up and I'm getting ready to cut, rotate, and weld the JJ end on the trackbar. Noticed the on the JKS bar the track bar is offset towards the top of the joint in the originally design. So if I rotate it it will be offset towards the front or rear 0.25-0.5". Which direction would be recommended? I thinking towards the front for some diff clearance but unsure of how the will effect the it bolting into the bracket.

shouldnt affect the bolting, mine is offset to the front to help clear the dif. it's a heim, but a JJ should be fine.

Back