• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Canyonlands...and pets.

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Starting to plan a trip to Utah for next spring.

So White Rim is a high priority for me, figure on 2 days to run it at a leisurely pace. However, i just ran into a problem... no pets in the backcountry of Canyonlands NP. :shocked: I havent had a chance to check but i'm hoping Monument Valley, San Rafael Swell, Arches arent similar.

Anyone happen to be familiar?

Just found it odd that pets are permitted on Schaeffer and Potash.. but restricted in WRT. You know how much i want to run this... by the way, it's my buds dog. I may be taking a solo run to scratch this itch.

But i plan to call the ranger district, perhaps i'm reading it wrong.

IntrepidXJ said:
no need for that.....just let me know when and I could always tag along ;)

You betcha! You and Alex would be awesome to get together with out there and show me around. I hope to visit Canyon De Chelly on the way in coming off I-40

Looks like i'll roll through his hometown on the way in and yours on the way out.

OverlandXJ said:
You betcha! You and Alex would be awesome to get together with out there and show me around. I hope to visit Canyon De Chelly on the way in coming off I-40

Looks like i'll roll through his hometown on the way in and yours on the way out.
You won't get into the bottom of De Chelly unless you got reservations and a Navajo guide.

DrMoab said:
You won't get into the bottom of De Chelly unless you got reservations and a Navajo guide.

I JUST learned that, i remember Handlebars did a trip out there awhile back and i checked the thread briefly. Just reread it where the guide is required.

That does throw a wrench into my plans, as i was thinking a few days in the canyon which may be cost prohibitive.

Thanks for the heads up DrMoab

Don't worry about getting a reservation for your guide- they all live close by and the ranger at the visitor center can get one quick. Most of them live in the canyon or in Chinle. We showed up at 4pm on Labor Day weekend, the ranger got a guide within 15 minutes. We arranged a 7am departure for the next morning because we are all early risers. I wonder if it is even easier on a non-holiday weekend?

Handlebars said:
Don't worry about getting a reservation for your guide- they all live close by and the ranger at the visitor center can get one quick. Most of them live in the canyon or in Chinle. We showed up at 4pm on Labor Day weekend, the ranger got a guide within 15 minutes. We arranged a 7am departure for the next morning because we are all early risers. I wonder if it is even easier on a non-holiday weekend?
How many did you have in your group Alex?

I didn't think they would give a tour for just one or two vehicles...or maybe its the same cost so the more you have the cheaper it is...I can't remember now.

No pets in National parks????
Thats news to me. We traveled with our dog for years and made a point of staying in national parks BECAUSE they allowed pets. Matter of fact, a few years ago we were all over Moab with our dog and our guide had a dog as well. I cant remember specifically if we went into Canyonlands or Arches but either way, the guide told us his dog had been everywhere around there.

EDIT: Pets are indeed allow in the park, just not along the hiking trails.
"Activities with pets are very limited at Arches. Pets are not allowed on any hiking trails. Pets may accompany visitors in the campground, and at overlooks and pullouts along the paved scenic drives. Pets may be walked on roads or in parking lots, but must be leashed at all times when outside a vehicle. Pets may not be left unattended (except in a paid-for campsite in the Devils Garden campground, where they must not cause a disturbance)."

EDIT again:
I stand corrected.
"Activities with pets are very limited at Canyonlands. Pets are not allowed on hiking trails or anywhere in the backcountry. Pets may not accompany groups traveling by four-wheel-drive vehicle, mountain bike or boat."

Like I said, thats news to me. Our dog went everywhere with us in every national park we've been to and not a word was said.

Last edited:
Ray H said:
No pets in National parks????
Thats news to me. We traveled with our dog for years and made a point of staying in national parks BECAUSE they allowed pets. Matter of fact, a few years ago we were all over Moab with our dog and our guide had a dog as well. I cant remember specifically if we went into Canyonlands or Arches but either way, the guide told us his dog had been everywhere around there.

EDIT: Pets are indeed allow in the park, just not along the hiking trails.
"Activities with pets are very limited at Arches. Pets are not allowed on any hiking trails. Pets may accompany visitors in the campground, and at overlooks and pullouts along the paved scenic drives. Pets may be walked on roads or in parking lots, but must be leashed at all times when outside a vehicle. Pets may not be left unattended (except in a paid-for campsite in the Devils Garden campground, where they must not cause a disturbance)."

EDIT again:
I stand corrected.
"Activities with pets are very limited at Canyonlands. Pets are not allowed on hiking trails or anywhere in the backcountry. Pets may not accompany groups traveling by four-wheel-drive vehicle, mountain bike or boat."

Like I said, thats news to me. Our dog went everywhere with us in every national park we've been to and not a word was said.

It doesnt look like it's going to be much of a problem, my bud with the dog doesnt like shelf roads so he's real hesitant to run Shafers switchbacks into WRT. He and i will split for a few days while i meet up with a few NAXJA guys and run it with them.

Back