• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turning hard left or right

USAtruck6

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj and when i turn hard left or right, the wheels kind of slant which causes the wheels to screech a little and make it bouncy. I thought because it has a front straight axle, it would turn a whole let better than a truck with ifs. whats the deal? anyone know what I'm talking about? I realize it might be hard from my description.

thanks

Believe it or not, that's normal. The 'bouncy' part makes me wonder a bit though. Do you have the NP242 t-case and is it in Full-time? The rest of it sounds pretty normal though.

Although the XJ has a solid axle, the specified alignment calls for about 6 to 9 degrees of caster. This means the top balljoint trails the bottom one. The wheels are vertical when pointed straight ahead, but when turned the caster angle is visible as wheel "slant." This is normal. On pavement that has been coated, I often get tire squeal when turning sharply.

However, the bouncing doesn't sound right. As Yucca-man suggested, that sounds like it's in 4WD.

thanks for the re-assurance. I'm gonna check out the bouncing but I definitely don't have it in 4wd. I just got the jeep and am not sure what is the transfer case but I do assume its the np242. Thanks again!

Back