• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ted's 1999 XJ

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
Here's a link to some pix of a 1999 my son just bought.. Has like 134K, rebuilt title, and a couple of issues he'll be researching soon, I'm sure.

Has a rash on the roof that probably needs the roof sanded and painted to fix, and the steering wheel is not centered and squeaks when maneuvering at slow speeds, as in parking. I've not had to deal with these before, so if you have any wisdom to pass along....

Also has 3 nearly bald tires, so I told him not to evaluate handling until he has good rubber on it.

I'll leave anything else for him to ask about in a tech forum.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd268/Troutaholic/Teds XJ/

Last edited:
I went with Ted to take a look at this XJ. Hopefully you think he got a good deal on it. I think he made off pretty well even with the few issues it has. The repair work on the front end seems to be done right and the paint (other then the roof issue) was also very clean.

-Brendan

You boys did fine! Thank you for your kind help!

I would have run it by a mechanic as the next step rather than impetuously jumping into purchase mode (that HAS to come from his mom's side!) Still, as a first car it will be a great learning adventure, and from what I hear it will make a really good rig after some wrenchin'. I told him to look at the expenditures for this one as tuition for Auto Ownership 101.

He will need front brakes before too long, and I encouraged him to do that himself and to change all the fluids as he has time and $$$. With me 9 hours north he's a little tool challenged now. So if anyone is bored and lookin' for an opportunity to get dirty, give Ted a shout!

Thanks again to you and everyone else who offered! NAXJA is really full of good people.

Brian

You boys did fine! Thank you for your kind help!

I would have run it by a mechanic as the next step rather than impetuously jumping into purchase mode (that HAS to come from his mom's side!) Still, as a first car it will be a great learning adventure, and from what I hear it will make a really good rig after some wrenchin'. I told him to look at the expenditures for this one as tuition for Auto Ownership 101.

He will need front brakes before too long, and I encouraged him to do that himself and to change all the fluids as he has time and $$$. With me 9 hours north he's a little tool challenged now. So if anyone is bored and lookin' for an opportunity to get dirty, give Ted a shout!

Thanks again to you and everyone else who offered! NAXJA is really full of good people.

Brian

Anytime man, I was glad to help. Brendan just happened to be closer than me to go take a look. Glad he checked for a transfer case this time.........:D if he needs help wrenching on it we can probably help him out as well!

Back