• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 shift indicator switch

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a new NP231, and I installed a 600-551 Dorman shift switch, but the part time light does not come on. I did remove the switch and manually pushed the ball bearing and confirmed that the light does turn on. It's almost like the switch isn't quite long enough. Any ideas?

Thinner gasket?

Were you testing it while the Jeep was sitting still? You need to be moving for the internals to transition. The switch is pretty much the last thing to know about it.

Not even! The selector fork is the first thing to move and the indicator operates off that!

Were you testing it while the Jeep was sitting still? You need to be moving for the internals to transition. The switch is pretty much the last thing to know about it.

Take my word for it, the mode fork will not fully move, the rod will not fully turn in the bushing, and the ball will not fully settle into the detent, unless the internals are rotating

NO! The OP did a simple and correct test. I did mine the same way with an OHM meter on the work bench. The switch is just a simple on/off contact. Push the plunger in and the contacts close release the plunger and the contacts open.

In 2Wd the plunger rides on the machined flat on the selector rod. When 4WD is selected the plunger resides on the full outside diameter of the rod which pushes the plunger in and closes the contacts which in turn causes the light to illuminate.

Testing a switch installed is as simple as shifting to 4WD. Yes, sometimes,... and just a few times it may be necessary to have the drive spun usually less than 1/2 a turn to align the mechanical gears in the transfer case so the gears could be fully engaged.

My XJ have the tendency to indicate it is in 4WD when it is not especially when 4 low is selected. At that point, rolling the XJ 6 to 12" is all it takes to fully engage 4 low.

It's weird. I tried the Dorman 600-552, which is basically just a longer version of the stock 600-551 for the np231. It didn't screw all the way down because it was bottomed out of the shift cam inside the case. I think my case has different internals or something. Really wierd.

Back