• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renault turbo diesel swap w 4.0 on a 97, possible?

Archdukeferdinand

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if there's any decent way to swap an 87 renault turbo diesel into a 97 that has a 4.0, or if anyone's considered doing a swap to diesel on a late model XJ....

The other possiblity is mating a 97 aw4 and 231 combo to an old 87 TD chief engine/drivetrain, I'm thinking this might be the easier way to go.

Biodiesel is alive and kicking in my area and I'd like to stop paying so damn much to gas companies, and someone just happens to be selling a TD chief nearby....

From what I've gleaned by talking to the few foriegners that drop by around here, the 4.0 has the AMC bellhousing bolt pattern (duh). The 2.1 td is a Renault and therfore has different bolt pattern. The transmission typically used is a manual 5 speed AX5 (also used with the gas 4 cylinder) and has a the bell housing is different so it fits the Renault. I am not 100% sure but I think that eliminates the possibility of mating it to the Aw4 *easily*.

Since the engine came out of an 1987 XJ and is going into a similar bodied 1997 XJ I don't think there would be too many fitment issues but you have to creatively engineer some things like any engine swap. And, since its a mechanically injected diesel wiring it should be a breeze. Just remember to plumb in an electrical and mechanical fuel cut off in case you can't shut it off.

If you want to do it, the best way I think is to buy the whole XJ so you can get any bits you need then have the cracass hauled off when done.

Back