• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Providence Canyon update/run

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
I spoke with Kathy Jo, with the USFS Logan District yesterday and she indicated that the road repair will be completed next week, after which the canyon will be open for motorized vehicle travel.

I'm planning on leading a snow run up Prov Dec 1st, weather permitting.

Last edited:
You know it! I had it down at Moab last weekend and did Poison Spider, Fins 'N Things, and Moab Rim.

Still needs a fair amount of fine tuning, but the basics are covered.

Jared:patriot:

That's great news. I can't wait to see it. Going from an XJ to my ZJ was night and day for me. [size=-2]but don't let these XJ fans know that![/size] :D

Yes, yes, and yes.

Even though the wheelbase is only a few inches (4.X) longer, I swear it made all the difference in climbing the steep stuff. Flex even with just a front to rear swap lift seemed to be much better.

It took the bumps and jolts of rough roads much better. Where the XJ would buck over simple things like parking lot speed bumps, the ZJ would absorb them. The seats are comfier which, of course, is nicer on those long rides. It's also roomier inside, which is a big plus for me since if I was on my own I'd just sleep in the back.

I also preferred visibility out the front window with the XJ. I'm not sure if the seat is higher, or what but it seemed I could see what was ahead easier.

I don't mean to get Jeff's thread off topic, but I'd be interested in knowing what Jared has noticed between the two platforms. Maybe a topic for another thread.

In wheeling ability? Comfort? Or something else? Still thinking of buying my dads.

Comfort mostly for me. With the xj I've a ton of money in springs and shocks to get it to ride as good as it does, with the ZJ all I've done is 2" pucks in all 4 corners and its smooth as can be. Plus a little mire roomy for all the gear the kids bring as well as it has cupholders :)

Wheeling ability compared to an xj of similar build I'd say they're about equal. The one advantage I see the ZJ has is the rear coils, unlike the leafs they move. Plus the v8 for hwy speeds is nice.

I'll 2nd everything just said about the ZJ vs. an XJ. I will also add that the interior, while plush, does tend to work loose and rattle a bit. But no more than later model XJ's. it has basically a TJ rear suspension, which flexes well and rides buttery smooth on and off road. I couldnt be happier for something I am into about a grand (pun intended!).

Back on topic... I look forward to driving up Providence Canyon on Dec 1st!

Supposedly, I have an inner shaft getting resplined at Dutchman. If it gets here next week and I get it installed on the weekend, I should be good to go.

I'll 2nd everything just said about the ZJ vs. an XJ. I will also add that the interior, while plush, does tend to work loose and rattle a bit. But no more than later model XJ's. it has basically a TJ rear suspension, which flexes well and rides buttery smooth on and off road. I couldnt be happier for something I am into about a grand (pun intended!).

Back on topic... I look forward to driving up Providence Canyon on Dec 1st!

Wonder how they fly....... :dunno:

Wonder how they fly....... :dunno:

Fantastic, but I'm still very concerned about the landings!:explosion:

The low-pinion, CV joint D30 has to go. Whatever I replace it with will need to be more bend-proof than my previous stuff.

P.S. - Anybody going to be running tire chains?

After the last experience I had on that trail in the ice.... I've replaced mine twice just looking at this thread.

Jeff, Larry Olsen brought this up on the slc list. I mentioned you might go up on the 1st. Didn't figure you'd mind.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this, my wife will be in Reno and that means I'll be taking kids to basketball and indoor soccer. I'll keep my eye out and if the date changes I should be able to make it...

Back