• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ coil spring bow...help please

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Guys,

I installed the RE 4.5 lift on my XJ. I got the front completely done. I have upper fixed control arms and lower adjustable ones. I have a problem with the passenger side coil spring....it is bowing a little toward the front. I have rotated it 180 degrees, made sure it is completely set in the spring perch bucket, and even double checked the control arms. I can't figure why the driver side spring is completely straight while the passenger side is bowing a little. It is almost like the passenger side of the axle needs to be moved forward a bit but the upper control arms are fixed so they wouldn't allow much slop as it is (even if i could move them, they should be the right length anyhow) also, the axle is already centered inside the wheelwell so if I move it forward at all it won't line up right. ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!

2001XJ

My understanding is that is a common problem with the RE springs. Mine does the same thing. Rubs on the pass side sway bar link. I havent seen anything for a fix to this but it has not caused any issues during normal street driving.

IMG_0054.sized.jpg

You need adjustable control arms. The fixed arms are pulling the axle back. This will bow the control arms. I know because I went that route with the RE fixed arms until I could get adjustable ones. It will not hurt the spring if you don't leave it like that for long. Also that sway bar link needs to be taller.
Is the trac bar centering the axle, measure it with a tape not your eye. Juice

Just out of curiousity do the RE kits have the front and rear springs marked driver and passenger side like the OME kits do ???

RE sells a sway bar relocation bracket that helps with the spring/sway bar problem.

RE9921 Sway Bar Relocation Brackets
tnRE9921.jpg

RichP said:
Just out of curiousity do the RE kits have the front and rear springs marked driver and passenger side like the OME kits do ???

My RE 4.5" kit was used when I got it so I have no idea if there were tags indicating which spring goes to which side. I also didnt see any mention of this when I was going thru the install directions from RE's website.

RichP said:

No, they aren't marked. This is the R.E. trademark if you will. I have owned a number of R.E. kits, all the same regardless of lift. I do have adjustables, I do have the swaybar relo kit and the passenger coil still bows and is close to the disco. This can be helped by the suggestions stated earlier but all that does is move the swaybar which when you are trail riding should be disco'd and tucked away so no more issue.

Juice,

I don't think it is the fixed upper control arms. They don't seem to be pulling the axle back like you stated. I have measured the wheel base and it is centered in the wheel-well the same on both sides and I am only getting a bow on the pass. side not the driver side. Also, I did measure the axle and it is centered from the trac bar. I also have JKS adjustable disco's so my sway bar links are fine and the relocation brackets wouldn't help anyway. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS!

thanks for the reply guys...I am just one of those anal guys who doesn't like shit out of symmetry if it can be avoided.

2001XJ

There are shims behind the lower control arm mounts on the body so it's still posible to adjust fixed arms a bit. The two little bolts on the mount hold them in.

2001XJ said:
Juice,

I don't think it is the fixed upper control arms. They don't seem to be pulling the axle back like you stated. I have measured the wheel base and it is centered in the wheel-well the same on both sides and I am only getting a bow on the pass. side not the driver side. Also, I did measure the axle and it is centered from the trac bar. I also have JKS adjustable disco's so my sway bar links are fine and the relocation brackets wouldn't help anyway. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS!

thanks for the reply guys...I am just one of those anal guys who doesn't like shit out of symmetry if it can be avoided.

2001XJ

The coils mount differently side to side. This bowing is normal, and from your picture, seems very slight. As you lift an XJ, you will continue to point the pinion up towards the transfer case to avoid front driveline vibrations. This rotates the coil buckets towards the front of the vehicle, thereby altering the angles between the axle and frame mounts. The resulting arc is displayed as bowing of the coils.

Don't worry about it. You'll either have to keep stock pinion angles (and get lockout hubs or deal with vibes) or build an axle from scratch to get rid of it. In which case the cure is much worse than the disease for a 4.5" lift.

Nay

Nay,

Just to let you know, that picture is not of my XJ, it is exteremwlr's, my bow is actually worse. I will try all recommendations mentioned....thanks guys.

Back