• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New and exiting timing issue after attempting to replace distributor(spectra)

Raine883

NAXJA Forum User
So heres the deal 97 xj 180k, factory distributor was done for. It had about 1/2 inch of side to side play but the jeep was running when i pulled it. I replaced it with a spectra but the thing would not land back in the 5 o'clock position, it lands closer to the 6-630. jeep fired up ran like hell idle was all over the place and then it died. I tried swapping the old one back in but it's so ate up it won't seat properly. Timing marks are lined up, cylinder 1 is at top dead. I'm at a loss, is this common with spectra distributors? If so outside of getting robbed by a dealer where do i turn for the correct part?

When I did my rebuild I had a hell of a time getting the timing lined up I would try advancing it or turning it back one tooth from where you have it and trying it. Mark it if you have to take your time it's can be tricky. Once you have confirmed this isint a placement issue then maybe it's a bad dizzy?

The oil pump drive slot on top of the oil pump and the distributor/cam gears line up independently.

You have to kind of guesstimate where the distributor is going to end up as the distributor drive gears cause the rotor to rotate as you drop it in and where the slot in the oil pump is going to align.

My guess is the oil pump slot was aligned to the 6/6:30 position and was forcing the distributor into the wrong cam tooth.

A long screwdriver and you can move the oil pump slot. The rest is just trial and error, though a little wiggle push sometimes helps.

Check to see if the drive gear is installed properly. See pic. If the gear helical splines aren't lined up properly it's impossible to get it timed in.

jpgDSCF2779.jpg

jpgDSCF2778.jpg

jpgDSCF2777.jpg

Here's a pic showing the position of the rotor (modified cap) when installed at #1 TDC compression and timing marks lined up and the distributor pinned with a 3/16" punch.

DistributorStab.jpg

I wouldnt run a spectra brand distributor after my experience with them.. This video is 2 days after installing one in my 4.7.... the only thing holding the drive flange to the shaft is a tig weld TACK.... unnacceptable, and i apologize to my engine for giving it shitty parts.

Sidewinder, you were on the money upon closer inspection the spectra unit is clocked and pinned incorrectly. Looks like I'm going to clean up the shaft on the stocker, and install it in the new housing to get me back on the road until i find a alternative.

Well I pulled the old cam gear and cleaned it up with my gunsmithing files, swapped them out and guess what? The disto dropped into the 5 o'clock position almost like it was meant to be. It fired right up, and ran like hell making all kinds of noise. Pulled it back apart and learned that supplied rotor wasn't making good contact with the coil , and the pickup was hitting the supplied cam sensor. I swapped in the oem cam sensor and a accel cap and rotor I had tucked away, now it purrs like a kitten. Lesson learned the hard way, buy OEM nobody else seems to know hoe to build replacement jeep parts.

Edit: for anyone who happens across this post in the future DO NOT BUY A SPECTRA DISTRIBUTOR or any other house brand, save your money and buy from the dealer
unless you love rebuilding brand new parts.

Last edited:
My '99 and '98 spare are made by SAGEM, Inc. Part number 56041034.

Ahh yes. Standard and SAGEM were both used.

To give a clue as to the drive gear problem, most of the auto parts stores only list one distributor for both 4 and 6 cylinder models. However, 4 cylinder drive gears were offset with the spline lined up with the pin, whereas 6 cylinder drive gears were offset with the pin between two splines.

It was a Sagem I took off, I found another company that builds them called crt performance that says they build everything in house out of American made parts, so if I have another issue I'll probably give them a shot.

Those dudes sure have a lot of distributors for sale.

Here's a 98/99:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Distri...ITY-/231846144839?vxp=mtr&hash=item35fb1b6b47

I emailed their customer service to make sure they weren't just slapping a summit cap and rotor on a China disto and calling it performance, they assured me they were built in house from American parts. Regardless I'm back up and running now, even though the only part of the new distributor I used was the housing, if my cam gear would have been bad I'd be dead in the water.

Back