• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motino Wash anyone? Sat September 16

00XJinprogress

NAXJA Forum User
Ok as promised I propose a Motino Wash Run. I've done John Bull and Dishpan Springs with relative ease so Motino looks like the logical next step. If anyone who HAS done it is free on the 16th your experience would be most welcome. From what I can see it looks like 35's+ are encouraged but 33's with lockers should do the trick. Naturally front and rear tow points and your own strap are a must. If for some reason we get through unscaved quicker than I thought we can take a detour drive to Big Bear, eat brunch, than possibly hit up 3n93 on the way back to Green valley lake and hwy 18 to air up and part ways. If we can stack up 8 people or so it will likely take us a 3-4 hours to get through. This is an unofficial run so naturally you should bring your own water and snacks. I like to get on the trail early so I'm thinking meet at 8am at the East trailhead entrance. Again I am unfamiliar with this one so if anybody knows of a staging area near by please chime in. The directions to the trail head according to AllTrails are as follows:

"Take Rattlesnake Canyon roughly 8 miles south from Old Women Springs Road in Johnson Valley. Motino wash will be on the left side of one of the bends in the wash.

or

From 2N02, take Viscera Road North (AKA Rattlesnake Canyon). Follow Rattlesnake Canyon north for roughly 3.6 miles and the trial will be on the right."

GPS:. 34° 16' 31.19"N
116° 39' 46.23"W.

Let me know what you guys think, you in?

Its going to be HOOOOTT. Motino is in the desert, not the mountains.

I've only run it on 37's, but we had a guy in our group on 32's. He had to be winched several times and took some body damage.

That's why I was thinking 8am. A bit cooler in the morning for the wash, than in Big Bear later where it will top out around 85 ish. And I've only seen videos so I admit 35's and up would be preferable but I'm pretty confident in my lockers and skids. Been waiting for a trail to rip off my pocket fender flares anyway so I can upgrade to tubed panels. You thinking about coming along for the Carnage?

And if you guys think it will be too hot than we can change plans a bit and do Dishpan, Holcomb creek, and John bull instead so we are in the mountains the whole time. I'm easy, I just want to get the Jeep out.

Nope, too hot for me.

Not to mention the only rig I have that is capable of that trail these days is the KOH car, and its fully disassembled for part out. I'd have to wheel my tow rig.. and, no. ;)

I have a jeep. I have 35's. I have lockers. I have tow points. I have good AC.

I also have to be in Randsburg that weekend for old west days. :(

I have a Jeep. I have 33's. I have lockers. I have tow points and a strap. I have good AC.
I also have a wife that is having her birthday party on the 16th.

I have a Jeep. I have 33's. I have lockers. I have tow points. I have no AC. I also have event I'm working that weekend otherwise I'd be down.

Ok nothing but no's so far but that's why we post early, to figure stuff out. Well I am working graveyard shift on Friday now so Saturday morning is a no go. If anyone is down for Sunday the 17th here are the two proposals:
Plan A- Motino wash, drive into big bear for lunch, then 3n93 on the way back to hey 18

Plan B- Cooler weather/ slightly kinder trails: meet in cedar Glen, head up Dishpan Springs, to 3n93, to John Bull, then call it a day.

Let me know what you think. If you are in which would you prefer, plan A or B?

I might be able to do that, A vs. B won't really matter to me.

Mostly depends how late I get home from Randsburg. I'll keep an eye on this thread for details.

I have a Jeep. I have 33's. I have lockers. I have tow points. I have great AC. I also have to be in Oregon that weekend.

its like 6 miles from jv....why not go there?

I'm not opposed. Some people thought Mottino would be hot so I figured JV would be hotter. Anyway I haven't been to JV so I am 100% willing. I just threw out a date and place to get people out wheeling. I didn't put 8k worth of crap into my xj to park it and tell people about what I COULD do in it if I felt like it and what happened on last year's annual outing. I like rock crawling and like to do it often. So absolutely, JV would work for me, let me know what you want to do. My only constraint is that I don't have to drive 8 hours to get there, otherwise I'm game for any place.

Itll be hot either place.....at least you can spendbthe night on the lakebed before coming back if you go to jv

Sounds cool, I live in Crestline so I'd probably head home after. Like I said I'm down for anything, just need a couple of yes votes for Sunday the 17th to get something going. I've always gone out with crazy built tj's, lj's and other things Wrangler. It would be nice to hit the trails with some fellow xj's for once.

...just need a couple of yes votes for Sunday the 17th to get something going.

As much as I'd like to commit I'm not going to be quite ready. I should be rolling by the 17th but I'm not sure if I'll have rock sliders on by then.

If the roll cage is done by then I might be able to do Sunday the 17th. I will have my son's with me, 20 month old and 4 years old, so there will be many stops. Still have to check on the progress of the cage with the shop and check with Mom if this could be the shake down run for the cage (I almost wrote test run, I don't plan on ever testing the cage).

If the roll cage is done by then I might be able to do Sunday the 17th. I will have my son's with me, 20 month old and 4 years old, so there will be many stops. Still have to check on the progress of the cage with the shop and check with Mom if this could be the shake down run for the cage (I almost wrote test run, I don't plan on ever testing the cage).

I'll make sure Sarge comes if I can make it ;)

I may be in JV that day, if I am I'll link up with you guys.

ran it Sunday, wasn't really hot at all. We had 2 rigs locked on 33's, 2 locked on 37's, and one ifs tacoma on 35's with a rear locker and nobody had an issue.

Back