• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

N20, Water Injection, & Fuel Cooling

GoliathJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering how you all feel about some ideas here. I know a little about N20, like how to set it up and tune (timing, plugs, etc.) And I have done research on the kits available. Just wanted to know who is running it if they are satisfied. Next topic. Water injection. I was thinking of somehow adding a nozzle to the intake manifold, on the back part where it is smooth below the T/B. I know how good water injection is to clean out carbon buildup. But what about using H2O to cool the intake charge? I know some guys with forced induction on their V-8's who run water injection before or after their intercooler to get an even lower intake charge temperature to reduce detonation. I was thinking if you could introduce a fine mist into the beginning of the intake manifold, could it possibly evaporate the h2o and disperse some of the heat? I am sure the I/M gets hot enough to do this. Ok. Has anyone installed a fuel cooler CAN on their XJ? I know this is kind of lower tech drag racing application but it will work the same way on a street driven vehicle. I had a design I wanted to try a time ago on an LT1 powered camaro that had A/C. I was thinking of somehow running the A/C coolant return line (I think it is the return) (the one that gets cold) into a cool can and coil it in parallel touching a copper coiled fuel line. With an insulated can, it would provide constant cooler fuel. As long as the a/c was running.

GoliathJeeper said:
Just wondering how you all feel about some ideas here. I know a little about N20, like how to set it up and tune (timing, plugs, etc.) And I have done research on the kits available. Just wanted to know who is running it if they are satisfied. Next topic. Water injection. I was thinking of somehow adding a nozzle to the intake manifold, on the back part where it is smooth below the T/B. I know how good water injection is to clean out carbon buildup. But what about using H2O to cool the intake charge? I know some guys with forced induction on their V-8's who run water injection before or after their intercooler to get an even lower intake charge temperature to reduce detonation. I was thinking if you could introduce a fine mist into the beginning of the intake manifold, could it possibly evaporate the h2o and disperse some of the heat? I am sure the I/M gets hot enough to do this. Ok. Has anyone installed a fuel cooler CAN on their XJ? I know this is kind of lower tech drag racing application but it will work the same way on a street driven vehicle. I had a design I wanted to try a time ago on an LT1 powered camaro that had A/C. I was thinking of somehow running the A/C coolant return line (I think it is the return) (the one that gets cold) into a cool can and coil it in parallel touching a copper coiled fuel line. With an insulated can, it would provide constant cooler fuel. As long as the a/c was running.

I did a more simple form of water injection several years ago by adding a water tank that would provide a lot of humidity to the intake. It worked great for several tanks, about a 4mpg jump at first with significant gains in power, but over the next few tanks the computer started to catch up with the changes and I lost all gains. Yanked it all out after a while, never could figure out how to get the computer to leave it alone. This was with a Crysler 3.3L V6, but I held off trying it on the Jeep for the same reason.

What if the computer could be tripped permanently to allow for the cooler intake charge. I am sure the algorithim for intake temp variations could be tweaked. Think that would boost fuel mileage if I ran it with water/alcohol mix being sprayed at the back of the I/M? Does anyone know how mush the avg fuel temp can be dropped without screwing up the vaporization process? Or should it matter on a pressurized fuel system? Need some help.

with the 4.0 it's multi point injection, so I don't even know that the water injection would work as well THe injectors sti right above the intake valve.

Back