• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Headlight Harness kills OBD port????

Swiper

NAXJA Forum User
So my parents finally let me have their 2001 thats been sitting for 7 years. After getting it all together and running well I noticed that one of the headlights was much dimmer then the other. Both dim overall. I started by replacing the headlights to no effect. I ordered a harness off of amazon so that they pull power from the battery directly instead. Well when i did this my obd scanner wouldn't power up. Unplug the new harness and it works again!:flamemad: Also on the drivers side light it keeps blowing the low beam bulb. I figured it would blow the fuse instead but apparently not. where should I start?? Is this a common issue? I did a search and did not find anything helpful. Also new member here long time lurker!

Is it doing this with the headlights off or only when they're on? Also, how is it triggered? What kind of headlights are you using?

Ok you got the power from the battery I know you need to have a ground also . where did you put that did you go to the battery also?

I have the new grounds hooked to the rad upper bracket. I think I have a short somewhere. When I ohm it out I get resistance on the high and low beam lines. When I unplugged the new strap the obd works. So I’m thinking maybe the new strap is back feeding through the line???

Maybe post the listing? I think I might see an issue. There are ones on Amazon listed as a conversion for negative switched headlights. I believe the XJ uses +12v to switch them on.

Get the harness from Ksuspension, top notch quality and your headlights will be much brighter. Pair it with the battery cable upgrade and you’ll see a massive improvement in the rest of your electrical system too.

Back