• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tight steering woes..continue

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
So my 1991 XJ 5 speed is having endless steering nightmares. My steering was super sloppy (300k on original box.) I had a shop tighten the adjustment screw on the box. It was immediately tootight and super weird so I put it back into the original position. I probably drove 5 miles on it like that, in total. The problem is, the steering got a bit better, but it didn't go back to normal. Assuming the box got cooked. This is where the problems really start.

So I went ahead and installed a new BlueTop steering gear: no change. Got an alignment: no change. Replaced the steering pump: no change. Figured I got a bad reman, replaced it with a new PSC power steering pump: no change. I just took it to a shop, and they think I may have gotten a bad BlueTop gear. I really don't to go through the hassle of replacing the gear again. Can anyone please give me some ideas of what it could be that is causing this?? Ball joints are newish. Steering components all look tight and clean. Is there a way to check if my steering gear is working properly without pulling it out to replace? Could there be shaving floating around in my fluid? I'm super stuck. Jeep is barely driveable. Used to be able to drive it with 1 finger. Now it's a chore. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I've scoured the forums, not much help.

Basically, steering is very tight between the 9-3 positions, like across the center position. Its a bit better on the edges, like doing u turns. But still tight. Wheel doesn't return to center. Returns about 1/2 way, but not all the way.

Help me save this Jeep

1991 XJ Sport 4.0 4x4 5 speed - stock

Back