• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how important is it to grease a greaseable shackle?

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
I snapped the zerk off while prying the leaf pack into place with a hammer :roflmao:

so anyway, should I bother with an EZ out or just leave it be?
Seems like a stupid question, and probably is.

Leave it and grease it with a needle grease nipple if you ever feel the need. Zerks allways have come right out easily for me when they break so if you can get at it without taking stuff apart give it a quick try.

It should come out pretty easily, I have good luck with sticking a tiny philips screwdriver in them and turn them out.

Remove it and replace it with a solid bolt! I just can't understand why someone would ruin a perfectly good bolt by drilling holes in them.....The gundrilling isn't so bad but the crossdrilling kills them, reduces the strength by 1/3, the only broken shackle bolts I have ever seen have been greasable.....This is just my opinion but I won't use them or sell them, I always try and prevent weakpoints. I am certain these weren't developed by an engineer, these had to be the idea of a salesman......

Dan Fredrickson
www.ruffstuffspecialties.com

Gravel Maker said:
Remove it and replace it with a solid bolt! I just can't understand why someone would ruin a perfectly good bolt by drilling holes in them.....The gundrilling isn't so bad but the crossdrilling kills them, reduces the strength by 1/3, the only broken shackle bolts I have ever seen have been greasable.....This is just my opinion but I won't use them or sell them, I always try and prevent weakpoints. I am certain these weren't developed by an engineer, these had to be the idea of a salesman......

Dan Fredrickson
www.ruffstuffspecialties.com

erm... it is a solid bolt, an OEM solid bolt to be exact.
Thanks for the lecture though ;)

Gravel Maker said:
Sorry, I go on a rant about bolts with holes! I love greasable bushings:laugh3:
It's the greasable u-joint with the humongus holes drilled all the way thru that bug me!

Back